PDA

View Full Version : printing on hardwood ( drinking coasters)

ahmad alsharif
08-08-2013, 5:21 AM
hi guys ,
i am totally new to this and i am looking to know the possibilities of printing on hardwood . i am intending to do drinking coasters with hardwood with 6 mm height , i intend to engrave a logo into the coaster and to be able to print colors into the engraved part or the upper wooden part of the coaster + sides , i looked into many companies such as agfa and cet , but i don't know if it is the right thing for me ( uv printing) . plus i want to know if UV is water resistant , please any advice on this matter is appreciated.

the question to answer : if you have a drinking coaster business and want to have the ability to print what would you do ??
thanks in advance

Martin Boekers
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
What type of quantities are you looking at? Are they unique set ups or quantities of the same? There are many types of inks out there each with different properties. If you're looking to buy a UV printer check with the manufacturer about what inks are compatible with their printer. If these are smaller quantities you may consider Laser Toner Transfer and spray a protective coat on them. Another choice would be Dye Sublimation, you could get a company to coat your wood, but the wood shows through the inks. Are these one color , more than one or full color? (like a photo)One more thing, UV printers don't necessarily print consistently on all products, so you would have to test to see if they are compatible with the wood esp since wood is organic. You may find a regular flatbed printer will work, it just need to be able to print white if you don't want the wood grain and color showing through. If you really want to laser first then print, that will be tricky on just alignment alone, If it's just one color you can fill and seal it after engraving. If you do go this route you may have to seal the coasters after engraving as the laser will "open" up the grain and the inks may bleed. Let us know what you decide.

ahmad alsharif
08-09-2013, 8:47 AM
i am looking to be able to finish orders of 1000 coasters minimum for each , mostly they will be the same setup , with some special customized orders . mostly its a logo that would be engraved into the wood , then printed and colored , more than one color , i would like the ability to print pictures so full color usage. it seems that UV is the best choice compared to other methods , any recomendations on uV printers ??

Gary Hair
08-09-2013, 7:25 PM
ahmad - I just purchased a DCS printer, the 10x24 DD model. I am VERY happy with it so far! I have tested printing on wood but can't really say how well it would hold up as a coaster. The woodworker in me thinks you would do fine if you put a good coat of polyurethane on the wood, printed, then another coat of poly. You could probably get away with printing then the poly coat, but I think I'd rather have the printing sandwiched between two layers of poly.

Gary

AL Ursich
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I wondered if the UV Cure Epoxy Dome would work with the wood? I had a Expansion and Contraction problem last year with the thicker dome stuff and FRP. I am just about done doing all the warped tags over again for free.... So that make me a little gun shy...

The expansion and contraction of a WET wood Coaster has me wondering the lifespan of the product.....

If properly indexed in sheets of coasters with tabs holding the CNC Carved then Cut Out coaster could then be installed in a DCS1024UV as a Sheet and printed... A Carved then printed... then Sealed and domed or Poly seal.

Could be an interesting product... The lack of white would shutdown some use of CLTT. The ability of the DCS to under print white is a big plus....

Makes me wonder if Sublimated FRP Coasters OVER a Wood Base might be an option....

AL