PDA

View Full Version : New DeWalt Screwdriver

Raymond Fries
08-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Anyone seen the new Gyro screwdriver?

Might have to get one of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYpjWDvUJAs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvtpTt_S5-jVs-Rk0MyiWJg&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv% 3dXYpjWDvUJAs%26feature%3dc4-overview%26list%3dUUvtpTt_S5-jVs-Rk0MyiWJg&utm_campaign=It%27s+Here!+Meet+Your+New+Favorite+S crewdriver

John McClanahan
08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Looks like more of a sales gimmick to me. I think I would rather have an old fashioned variable speed trigger.

John

Art Mann
08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
That is a pretty dramatic video for a cordless screwdriver. I'm not too impressed either.

Ralph Boumenot
08-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure I'm understanding the speed control? Twisting your wrist which way speeds it up and which way slows it down? Seems to be a little too unconvetional for me.

Grant Wilkinson
08-06-2013, 2:04 PM
I've seen bad videos, and this one is right up there with the worst. I didn't get what action changed the speeds until you guys told me. I guess turning your wrist is fine as long as you have the room in the cupboard/cabinet/tight space to do that. I supposed Dewalt would say that's why you can straighten the handle. It seems to me that they had to create a solution to a problem that they created with the weird speed control action.

Doug Richardson
08-06-2013, 2:18 PM
I have a small Bosch screwdriver, and it has been working fine for me for years now. So unless it takes a dump on me, I'm happy with what I have. Besides, the right angle pivot is at the head on the Bosch, which allows me to get in tighter places.....

Ellen Benkin
08-06-2013, 3:50 PM
A very dramatic video for an 8V screwdriver. I often move the screwdriver to get a better sight line and I'm not sure I would want that to change either the speed or the direction.

Mark Bolton
08-06-2013, 5:59 PM
It would only make sense that rotating your wrist clockwise would increase speed (drive faster) and counter clockwise would be slower "if" the driver is in forward. Of course you'd hope this would reverse when you flip the switch but as others have said the video basically tells you nothing about the use of the tool.

It looks like for the right applications it could be handy if you "took to it" well. May be hard to retrain all the trigger fingers in the world but it would definitely eliminate some bulk.

Jacob Reverb
08-06-2013, 6:25 PM
I'd get one, but I'm saving up my nickels for one of these:

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/ACCESSORIES/MAIN/1/AAW100_4.jpg

and after that, omma get one of these:

http://gypsyreggae.com/blogstuff2012/meglinatingTool.jpg

John Hays
08-06-2013, 9:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Tony Stark made that video for DeWalt. :rolleyes:

Alden Miller
08-07-2013, 9:21 AM
I gotta get me one of those Meglinator's!

-Alden

Bill White
08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Just looks to me like a solution waiting for a problem. What am I missing?

Mark Bolton
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
If you really think about it the tool may likely be way ahead of its time. I have often thought of having a driver which would respond to how hard I was pushing on a screw, or especially with my guys, some feature to help with ding dongs who can never seem to keep the bit in direct alignment with the screw. That is the single biggest issue with virtually anyone who has worked with me is their ability to see/know the bit is not on the exact axis of the screw. Its the single larges cause for cam'ing out fasteners. It becomes second nature for some and never enters the radar of others.

I could easily see tools of tomorrow being much more "intuitive". Until youve had it in your hands its hard to say but I can definitely see the day when triggers are not what we conventionally think of today.

Rick Hubbard
08-07-2013, 3:12 PM
I wonder why the word "gimmick" keeps running through my mind?

Raymond Fries
08-07-2013, 5:22 PM
Dad said:

First there was flat, then phillips, the square and torx...

Next will be...

Round - the harder you push the better it works!

It's called the Thucker Tool. LOL

Gotta Love DAD...

BTW - Loved the coupon; gotta get one of those as well.

Ben Martin
08-07-2013, 9:59 PM
I watched the first video and didn't get what made this better than any other screw driver. I think DeWalt needs to re-think their Marketing department...

Ben

Larry Whitlow
08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I watched the first video and didn't get what made this better than any other screw driver. I think DeWalt needs to re-think their Marketing department...

Ben

I had the same problem with the first video. I just couldn't grasp what the fancy graphics were trying to tell me. Second one made sense.

johnny means
08-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Driver turns the way you turn your hand. Increasing rotation increases power. Seems like a pretty useful tool to me. No more gimmicky than impact driving, cordless tools, touchscreen phones, yada, yada...

Alan Lightstone
08-09-2013, 9:02 AM
Do they make the Meglinator in an extra large / heavy duty size?

Roger Feeley
08-09-2013, 10:17 AM
That would have been a decent Iron Man trailer but it wasn't much of a tool ad. I didn't really get what the thing does. I see that there is a trigger so I guess that you depress the trigger and then twist and an internal accelerometer uses position to determine torque. But they didn't make that clear.

I guess I'm old school. I like the Woodpecker videos. They just tell you what the thing does.

John McClanahan
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
If I'm driving straight slotted screws, the last thing I would want to do is twist my wrist to control the tool. I have enough trouble keeping a slotted bit on the screw as it is.

This tool needs the Black & Decker name on it, not DeWalt.

John

johnny means
08-09-2013, 2:08 PM
If I'm driving straight slotted screws, the last thing I would want to do is twist my wrist to control the tool. I have enough trouble keeping a slotted bit on the screw as it is.

John

Hmmm, how do you control a screw driver?

Larry Prem
08-10-2013, 5:44 AM
The important stat on the DCF680 is its low torque. This is very much a screwdriver, and not an impact driver.
24 in/lbs are not enough to driver long screws without pilot holes.

Just look at where it ranks on this Graph (http://www.hingmy.com/site/service/graph.php?pr=783&id=4974)

John Coloccia
08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Anyone seen the new Gyro screwdriver?

Might have to get one of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYpjWDvUJAs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvtpTt_S5-jVs-Rk0MyiWJg&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv% 3dXYpjWDvUJAs%26feature%3dc4-overview%26list%3dUUvtpTt_S5-jVs-Rk0MyiWJg&utm_campaign=It%27s+Here!+Meet+Your+New+Favorite+S crewdriver

This changes everything.

edit: to be serious for a second, all this really means is that sticking an accelerometer in there is cheaper than using a proper, progressive trigger, and I could have told you that, actually. That they market it as some space age feature and people buy into it really drives home just how low our standards have become. Soon, the cheap buttons will be gone too, and you'll simply shake the screwdriver in the general direction you'd like to turn.