PDA

View Full Version : Niagara Lumber Purchase

Dave Avery
05-13-2003, 1:46 PM
All,

I know this is heresy, but with a major house addition going on, three children, a self-proclaimed high maintenance LOML, and a demanding job, I don't have a great deal of extra time. I also don't own a truck (though the mini van is a close second).

Anyway, I ordered 40bf 4/4 cherry, 40 bf 5/4 cherry, and 20 bf soft curly maple on-line from Niagara Lumber. I was also lazy and had them surface one edge. The lumber was delivered in 3 packages (UPS) and arrived in my garage less than a week after the order. The cherry packages were quite heavy - over 100 lbs each. I'm getting a little old to be hulking around 100 lb packages, but it's a relative short walk to the basement.

Niagara's specs say boards average 6 inches wide (smallest 4") and are 6-8' long. All the cherry met spec's. The maple was in 4' lengths. After a polite E-mail exchange (answered by Niagara's President), we agreed that the 4' lengths were less than fully useful to me and Niagara agreed to credit me $1 bf.

As far as quality is concerned, it was as advertised - a combination of the top 3 lumber grades. Some of the cherry was flawless with no sapwood, some had sapwood, some had sapwood, small tight knots, and wane. Color was fairly uniform. About 15 bf was figured cherry. The curly maple had moderate figure and will make very nice drawer boxes.

All said, I think I got what I bargained for and I'd recommend Niagara to those with time constraints. The delivered price, by the way, was over $1bf less than local lumber dealer, who lost my business by grossly mistallying the number of bf on a prior purchase. Dave.

Martin Shupe
05-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Dave,

When you have the time, drive over to SE PA, and visit Groff and Groff and Hearne Hardwoods.

I have been to both, and you would be amazed at the selection of quality lumber in many species. They had boatloads of cherry and maple.

When you are at Groff, go up the road about a mile, and there is another shop on the right...I forget the name, but someone else here will know it. Just remembered, I think it is Sandy Pond Hardwoods, which specializes in figured woods.

Groff was especially helpful. I spent a couple hours sorting through stacks for a little more than 200 board feet. Then they arranged shipping to Texas. I got better cherry, and at less cost, than if I had bought locally. Of course, now that Mike Mastin is in business, I need to check him out.

If I lived in the NE, I would probably buy all of my lumber from these three sources.

I have also been to Frank Miller Lumber (thanks Jennifer, for arranging the tour), and I would buy quartersawn cherry from them, sight unseen.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Jim Becker
05-14-2003, 9:21 AM
Originally posted by Martin Shupe
When you have the time, drive over to SE PA, and visit Groff and Groff and Hearne Hardwoods.

I haven't been to Groff & Groff (nor Sandy Pond), but <a href="http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/" target="_new">Hearne Hardwoods</a> is a virtual "candy store" when it comes to lumber. I buy all my non-domestics there as well as figured lumber. (I fortunately have a local supplier for high-quality "normal" domestics that doesn't require an hour and a half drive) But I enjoy shopping at Hearne and don't mind the travel if what I need is something they carry....and there is a good chance that would include just about any species you could imagine using!

I believe that Hearne and Groff used to be in business together., but had a falling out a few years ago, splitting the businesses. Both of these outfits supply the pros, too...

Dave Avery
05-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys....... Hearne is 275 miles, certainly not worth a dedicated trip, but maybe a detour on the way to DC. Martin, how do they ship your wood - assume common carrier?

Martin Shupe
05-14-2003, 7:50 PM
Oh, I didn't realize you were that far away...guess I should have looked at the map.

The stuff I bought from Groff went by common carrier, the one that went bankrupt about 6 months ago. (Roadway?) They were very helpful and gave me a couple of options and prices on the spot.

I also bought some wood from Good Hope Hardwoods. They sent theirs by Yellow Freight. I was not as happy with their care of my lumber...lost a foot off one end of a board. Also, Yellow was more expensive, but may be the only option right now, when I decide to do it again. Good Hope's wood is more expensive than Groff or Hearne, which was why I didn't mention them to begin with. Also, theirs is log run lumber... and they want you to buy the entire log. This is great for matching grain, but I got several boards from the same log at Groff at a better price. Nothing against Good Hope, but they were proud of their stuff, and I got the idea that they mostly sold to high end dealors, Europe, and Nakashima types. I was very impressed with their knowledge of their products.

Next time I get a trip to PA, I want to go see Irion lumber, which appears to be about 2 hours north of Harrisburg. Saw their ad in FWW, and it looks interesting. Anybody been there?

Jim Becker
05-14-2003, 9:46 PM
Originally posted by Martin Shupe
Next time I get a trip to PA, I want to go see Irion lumber, which appears to be about 2 hours north of Harrisburg. Saw their ad in FWW, and it looks interesting. Anybody been there?

I believe that FWW did an article on Mr. Irion a few years ago. He's a fine craftsman...and definitely an expert on Mahogany, if I recall clearly. I have not been there, but if I were going to that area of the state, I'd more than likely try to visit!