PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw blade for green wood

alex grams
08-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I have been rounding out a lot of green blanks lately using Timberwolf/Suffolk Machinery 1/2 x 2AS and 1/2 x 3AS blades on my 513X2 bandsaw. They cut great, but after about 5-6 blanks (anywhere from 8-14" diameter, from 4-10" thick) they dull and start to pull heavily away from center of the blank (to a point where I cant cut well on any material of significant thickness without the blade heavily fighting and pulling.

I am pretty sure this is a function of the continual curved cut dulling one side of the blade more than the other. But I would expect a blade to last a much longer time before this started happening.

Is there something I can do differently? Other bandsaw blades anyone can recommend? I've tried alternating cutting clockwise and counterclockwise on blanks to help even out the direction of the turns, but it still doesn't seem to give any longer of a blade life.

Suggestions on other blades or something I could do differently?

Thanks in advance.
-Alex

Prashun Patel
08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Hmm, I use a 3tpi cheap blade, and I run it into the ground. I can get through way many more than 5-6. This makes me think it's not your blade; that Twolf Green wood blade is probably way better than my cheap-o.

Is your blade overheating? Are you using dust collection? Are you pushing too hard?

What type of wood are you working with? Is there buildup on the teeth?

alex grams
08-07-2013, 12:13 PM
I have DC, blanks are osage, oak, poplar, sycamore, (domestics) mainly. No buildup.

No buildup. Feed rate is average, no binding or heavy resistance in the cut

You upgrade your lathe yet Prashun? Settled on what you want to upgrade to?

Fred Belknap
08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Alex I have the same BS and the same blades, they usually last me several months. I cut blanks that are green and some that are dry and up to twelve inches. I'm guessing but the teeth must be rubbing against a guide or roller or something to make it dull that quick. I just looked on mine and the blade tension is between 3 and 4 and I never detention it. Timberwolf is the only blade I use, not that they are that great but they do the job for me.

Prashun Patel
08-07-2013, 1:10 PM
I am trying to sell my 46-460 and am planning to take a hiatus from turning for a couple years - it's been too addictive for me at this point in my life. When I get back into it after my kids get a little older I'm planning on a PM3520b. If one comes up used during my hiatus, I'll take that as a sign and will buy it in a heartbeat.

alex grams
08-07-2013, 2:19 PM
I thought that too fred, and the guides are all set properly with no interference that I can detect.

Brian Kent
08-07-2013, 3:05 PM
Take a look at this thread where I replaced my Timberwolf with a Lenox Die Master Bi-Metal:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202083-Lenox-Die-Master-Bi-Metal-Blades

Fred Belknap
08-07-2013, 3:08 PM
Alex one thing I do occasionally is spray the blade with wd-40 and wipe it off while turning the blade backward. I just do that when there is gunk built up.

alex grams
08-07-2013, 3:30 PM
I will check everything again, but thanks for the info Brian. I had read that thread a while ago, but went ahead and ordered a diemaster 2 bimetal, hopefully this will help some.

Reed Gray
08-07-2013, 6:25 PM
Alex, I want to hear what you think about the Lennox blade. As said in the link above, I have been using them for years.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
08-07-2013, 7:20 PM
I have had really good service from these specially designed blades for wood turners.........of course, I am meticulous about my bandsaw being in proper tune, and these have given me exceptional service.......better than the timberwolf blades I was using.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodturners-bandsawblade.aspx

Thomas Canfield
08-07-2013, 10:47 PM
I have trouble with blade life when using my circle cutting jig since all the cuts are with wood rotated in clockwise feed into the blade. The teeth on the open side of the saw then tend to dull faster and wear increases if the blade is not properly set to cut at center of work. You also mention osage and oak which are both noted to dull blades. Dirt in the bark will also dull blades. I have used the 3/8" Greenwood blade from Highland Hardware and it seems to have more set to keep the kerf clear and provide clearance to reduce draft on the blade. Cutting Mesquite has been a problem because of the higher silica content in the bark area, especially on the lower trunk sections.

Larry Whitlow
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I also use the TW and Highland green wood blades and they last a heck of a lot longer than what you describe. I wonder if one of your blanks had an imbedded rock or something that ruined the blade.

Brian Kent
08-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Alex or Reed. I would like to get another one. Where do you order them?

Richard Jones
08-08-2013, 5:27 AM
Brian,

like Reed, I've been using the Lenox Diemaster 2 for a number of years. I get mine from

http://Www.bandsawbladesdirect.com

I'll be willing to bet that once you try one, you won't go back......

Brian Kent
08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you Richard. I am getting my second Lennox blade and I love them.

John King
08-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Another vote for Highland Hardware woodturner's 3/8" bandsaw blade. Great cuts. Long lasting. Relatively inexpensive. Check it out at http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodturners-bandsawblade.aspx. - John

Reed Gray
08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Brian,
This is where I get mine. Duke is the guy in charge, but the other guys are almost as good. They can be resharpened several times. I do take them to a local saw shop, and cost is pretty minimal. You may be able to find them locally if you look in the yellow pages, or google seems to be easier.

http://www.gooregonindustrial.com/

robo hippy

Michael Mason
08-09-2013, 2:50 PM
+1 on the Highland Green Wood blades.

Gus Dundon
08-09-2013, 3:30 PM
I've heard that Lennox diemaster 2 blades work well with green woods. Do not use carbide tipped blades.

alex grams
12-08-2013, 6:22 PM
quick followup. I got 2 of the lennox dimaster 2, 3tpi blades. I have cut 10x as much green wood as my timberwolf blades, and the first blade is still going strong. Doesn't pull to the side, hasn't dulled, and I can cut 12" tall green blanks without any of the blade pull problems I was having from the timberwolves. Everything from oak, to mesquite, to osage, and still plowing away.

robert baccus
12-08-2013, 9:45 PM
A lot of guys use 1/2" blades but I have better luck with 3/8" wide blades--might try it.