PDA

View Full Version : need some creative help

Charity Newland
08-07-2013, 8:51 AM
On a recent trip home to upstate NY my dad took me to his grandmothers house which has been empty for 30yrs at least, he spent most of his childhood on that farm. I went back and grabbed a few boards to make him a sign. Struggling on what to put on them so any help would be great.
thanks

Martin Boekers
08-07-2013, 9:59 AM
Another nice thing to do would be to make pens out of some of the small wood pieces, and you can engrave something on the pen barrel. I'm sure there are many on the wood turning part of SMC that would help you out. Do you have a photo of the farm or building? That might be nice to incorporate it in the piece.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
How about the family name on one of the boards?

Jim Beachler
08-07-2013, 12:40 PM
What about making a sign to say "Home is where the heart is"?

Joe Hillmann
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Family name in big block letters and in script below it, in script, Est. XXXX. With the x's being replaced with the year your parents or grandparents were married.

Every year my Grandma sends me boards from one of the old buildings related to my family and has me make Christmas ornaments. One year the boards were from my great great grandfathers shcool and I made about 25 ornaments for her to give as gifts. I cut them in the shape of a one room school house, engraved the front to look like a school and engraved on the back a note saying this ornament was made from wood taken from Grandpa Bills school house, located at such and such address, torn down in June 2010. Or something along those lines. By including the information on the back allows everyone who sees the ornament to know its history.

Charity Newland
08-07-2013, 7:18 PM
Thanks everyone! I love the ornament idea. Also put a pic of how it looked back in the 50's i could sublimate a piece of metal and attach with the Family name.