PDA

View Full Version : Need 4-6' 3/8" Whip hose (lead in hose) with 1/4" NPT... best brands?

Don Morris
08-06-2013, 8:57 PM
Just installed a rétractable air hose réel above my 2hp 20 gal compressor and need a 4' - 6' whip hose to connect the compressor to the reel. I found a couple who's brand names I wasn't familiar with and they seemed awfully cheap ($6.00 - $8.00) but the specs said they would tolerate 250 psi.That's nice. That's more than I would ever need, but I worry something that cheap would deteriorate quickly and develop leaks way too soon. I don't often buy air equipment. Am I overly concerned, or are there more well known brands I should look at and pay more for a 4' whip hose? Thanks for any input.

Jerome Stanek
08-07-2013, 6:06 AM
go to a place that makes hydraulic hoses and have one made up it should be good for 2500 psi

Bill White
08-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Yep! What Jerome said. We are fortunate to have such a shop here, and any specialty hoses can be made up quickly and inexpensively. Notice that I didn't say "cheaply".

Ed Labadie
08-07-2013, 2:30 PM
Good autoparts stores (CarQuest, NAPA) carry re-useable fittings. Installation is simple, no special tools reqd. and they look factory fresh when your done.

I would go buy a quality 25' air hose cut as needed, install new ends and call it good.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Air-Hose-End-Fittings-ReUsable-Male/_/R-NTH90572_0215279112

Ed

David C. Roseman
08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, I look at this a bit differently. As long as Don is talking about a lead hose, and not a true swivel whip hose (which can be dangerous), why go to all that trouble and expense? The hose will remain stationary at the reel, with no flexing. Nothing wrong at all with a $6 lead hose for that application. Even in the unlikely event that the system is kept pressurized 24/7, how hard can it be to replace the lead hose if it ever leaks? JMO.

David

Matt Meiser
08-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree--way over thinking it. Just make a hose. The only place it gets complicated is hooking a large compressor to permanent plumbing where you need a large hose. I think even Lowes sell air hose by the foot in the plumbing section.

Bruce Page
08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I would go buy a quality 25' air hose cut as needed, install new ends and call it good.
Ed

That's what I do. I haven't had one fail yet.

Michael W. Clark
08-08-2013, 1:23 PM
The hose reels I'm familiar with usually have th swivels built into them. If you think you need the swivel for installation, install the barb fittings in the pipe first and tighten them. Put the hose clamps on the hose, then push the hose over the barb fittings. Lastly, install the hose clamps. Rubber air hose is commonly available in sizes over 3/8" and 1/2", but you may have to go to an industrial supply house for it and the fittings (Grainger, Fastenal, etc.). Make sure you confirm the pressure rating of the hose if you are buying from a bulk real.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
08-09-2013, 6:35 AM
I have been using Flexel Brand lead hoses for several years because of the extreme light weight. I have yet to damage one in daily use. I tried the cheaper Asian imitation and they are not the same.

Larry