PDA

View Full Version : New tenon jig and TS fence micro adjuster jigs made over the week-end

Keith Hankins
08-06-2013, 4:43 PM
Well I had two needs and dealt with both this weekend. I sold my domino (still hate that) last year to pay for my Powermatic 719-T mortiser. My current project needs some M&T so, I needed a tenon maker. I toyed with buying one, but thought I could make one cheaper. I wanted it to be big enough to handle long pieces as well as short ones and the possibility of using it to handle a panel if I needed it to. I wanted the face material to be easily changed as it got chewed up. The second feature I wanted was micro adjustability. I've been doing the tap.. tap with the fist against the fence to get it close forever and wanted something better. So I built the micro adjuster. Turned out to be pretty cheap. I went to woodcraft and bought a magnet with on/off switch to make it easy to move and place and hold firm. For the adjustment piece, I thought about a nut and bolt, but while in woodcraft saw a bessy edge clamp that seemed perfect. So together the magnet and clamp cost 35 bucks (24+11). So far so good. Replaced the wingnut in the clamp with an 8mm x 1.25 bolt to attach it to the base. Added a dial indicator from a TS setup get I have. I can see by the thou how to move the fence. Went home and found some scrap poplar for the base to slip over the fence wanted that to be strong. Used MDF for the face because I wanted it to be and stay relatively flat. I cut two spacers for top and bottom to keep it evenly spaced. Put it together with screws attached another piece of MDF vertical and reprovisioned a hold down clamp from another jig, and it worked like a charm. The tenons came out with about 10thou accuracy measured with a caliper, and thats plenty good enough form me and the glue. I have to admit I love the easy part of the domino, but only having two moving parts during glue-up .vs. 3 with the domino was nice. I plan on improving it by making the base a little wider and changing the method for attaching the indicator.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22447246@N06/9445102232/in/set-72157634962470278

It probable only saved me about 50 bucks but it was cool making it, and the micro adjuster will come in handy in the future just for the ts. Stores easily on the TS cabinet with the magnet engaged.

Myk Rian
08-07-2013, 6:51 AM
Paragraphs make reading easier. I gave up.

jack forsberg
08-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Well I had two needs and dealt with both this weekend. I sold my domino (still hate that) last year to pay for my Powermatic 719-T mortiser.

My current project needs some M&T so, I needed a tenon maker. I toyed with buying one, but thought I could make one cheaper. I wanted it to be big enough to handle long pieces as well as short ones and the possibility of using it to handle a panel if I needed it to. I wanted the face material to be easily changed as it got chewed up.

The second feature I wanted was micro adjustability. I've been doing the tap.. tap with the fist against the fence to get it close forever and wanted something better. So I built the micro adjuster. Turned out to be pretty cheap.

I went to woodcraft and bought a magnet with on/off switch to make it easy to move and place and hold firm. For the adjustment piece, I thought about a nut and bolt, but while in woodcraft saw a bessy edge clamp that seemed perfect. So together the magnet and clamp cost 35 bucks (24+11). So far so good. Replaced the wingnut in the clamp with an 8mm x 1.25 bolt to attach it to the base.

Added a dial indicator from a TS setup I have. I can see by the thou how to move the fence. Went home I found some scrap poplar for the base to slip over the fence and wanted that to be strong. Used MDF for the face because I wanted it to be and stay relatively flat. I cut two spacers for top and bottom to keep it evenly spaced. Put it together with screws attached another piece of MDF vertical and reprovisioned a hold down clamp from another jig, and it worked like a charm. The tenons came out with about 10thou accuracy measured with a caliper, and thats plenty good enough form me and the glue.

I have to admit I love the easy part of the domino, but only having two moving parts during glue-up .vs. 3 with the domino was nice. I plan on improving it by making the base a little wider and changing the method for attaching the indicator.

It probable only saved me about 50 bucks but it was cool making it, and the micro adjuster will come in handy in the future just for the ts. Stores easily on the TS cabinet with the magnet engaged.

very nice job but are you worried about cutting into the screws?

jack
English machines

Keith Hankins
08-08-2013, 9:36 AM
No no worry. I cut the outside face and flip it so the blade is over 1/2" from those. It also helps me make sure the tenon is dead center which is mostly what I need. I get it close on first pass with a scrap piece first then used the micro adjustment dodad I made to sneak up on it till it fits the mortise snugly.

I made sure the screws holding the vert support with hold down are high enough to stay away. Currently cutting max 2" tall tenons, so If I ever need to cut a longer tenon say 2.5" which would be the max for my 10" TS, I'll just put another piece of mdf on and make them connect at a higher point.