PDA

View Full Version : Buying Thermark and Cermark

Eddie Castaneda
08-06-2013, 4:12 PM
Can anyone give me a good place where I can purchase Cermark and Thermark. The boss wants me to order both!

Mark Sipes
08-06-2013, 7:31 PM
Ferro Corp www. Ferro . com
P.O. Box 519
Washington, PA
Tel 724-223-5900 5167 Fax 724-228-6659

matthew knott
08-06-2013, 8:11 PM
Eddie, you get great results with cermark but you have a flexx, one of the main points of that machine is you can directly mark metals and save the expense and aggravation of cermark. No harm in playing but I would think using the fiber bit of your laser would be much better.
Cheers

Dan Hintz
08-06-2013, 8:34 PM
Eddie, you get great results with cermark but you have a flexx, one of the main points of that machine is you can directly mark metals and save the expense and aggravation of cermark. No harm in playing but I would think using the fiber bit of your laser would be much better.
Cheers

Agreed... with that tool at your disposal, I see no need for Cermark if all you want to do is mark metal with a black mark. The colored Cermark, however, is another story... also, expect different results with Cermark between the CO2 and the fiber. The fiber tends to leave a glossy mark, whereas the CO2 leaves a more matte finish.

Mike Null
08-07-2013, 8:00 AM
I agree with the others, your fiber mark should do the trick without the need for chemicals. If you decide you still need the chemical I would go with Cermark and I like Engravers Network as a supplier. http://engraversnetwork.com/thermark/index.html

Eddie Castaneda
08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the Advice Gents! I wanna Try the Black but I also have I saw that they a Bright White

Eddie Castaneda
08-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Has anyone dealt with Laserbits before? http://www.laserbits.com/

Dan Hintz
08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Plenty of people here have... a bit pricey in spots, but they have a good selection and good customer service.

Mike Null
08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Eddie

They do not have a bright white for metal. That is a pearl white and probably will not give you a satisfactory finish.

Have you done any experimenting with your fiber optic option?

Gary Hair
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Has anyone dealt with Laserbits before? http://www.laserbits.com/

Compare landed cost, not just the price listed on their website, I think you'll find a big difference between the various sources. Some places list the product with a very low price but neglect to tell you about "hazardous shipment" fees and you'll get a surprise on your invoice... That didn't happen to me but another vendor warned me about this practice.

Eddie Castaneda
08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Mike I have played around with these the fiber here are two pictures of what I have done

Eddie Castaneda
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Dan and Gary,

They are here in Phoenix area so I might be able to run out and pick it up.

Eddie Castaneda
08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I think the major issue is the thickness of the Oxidize of each the Indicator Stand looked to be on better and darker and the Block looked Lighter and uneven

Mike Null
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Here is white cermark on a forged steel farrier's hammer. This is the finish as it came out of the forge.

Eddie Castaneda
08-07-2013, 4:23 PM
Mike I think that is the look my boss would be looking for.

Dennis Watson
09-19-2013, 2:24 PM
I have a guy wanting a couple of stainless steel scales engraved so I ordered just some black Cermark. They are 13" long. Roughly what should I charge for a job this small?

I am hoping that once they see the results it may bring more.

Thanks

Gary Hair
09-19-2013, 5:16 PM
I have a guy wanting a couple of stainless steel scales engraved so I ordered just some black Cermark. They are 13" long. Roughly what should I charge for a job this small?

I am hoping that once they see the results it may bring more.

Thanks

Rate * time +- adjustments = price

Rate = your hourly rate
Time = the time to draw, prep parts, apply cermark, laser, wash, package, etc.
Adjustments = add (or subtract) to account for your market, perceived value, PITR (pain in the rear, cause you can't use the "A" word here...) customer, etc.