PDA

View Full Version : Nice "RETIREMENT" project!!!

Bobby McCarley
08-06-2013, 1:19 PM
As some of may know I retired in February of this year and was excited that now I can spend some time in the shop. Well, right before after I retired I was contacted by a company that I had done some pens for last year, 100 pens, and they wanted to know if I could make some more pens for them. I said sure, when did they need them and how many were they talking about. They told me they would get back with me in a couple of days. Well a couple of days later I get an e-mail with the details, they wanted another 100 pens with their name engraved on them. About five minutes later I get another e-mail telling me they made a mistake in the previous e-mail, that they wanted 1000 pens and they wanted them for November. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded, I could not believe my luck. This was a "THE" pen order of a lifetime in my opinion. Well, when it was all said and done, the order grew to 1500 pens with their name engraved on them. I just completed the last of the pens last week and got them all assembled, put in velvet pen sleeves and boxed up to be delivered to the company. I want to give a big "THANKS" to Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods for his help and support in this project, I don't think I could have got it done without him. He went way above what he need to do to make this order possible.

I have included what 1500 pens look like, sorry for the quality of the pictures, it's hard to photograph that many pens.

As a side note, I got a call from the company about the possibility of another pen order!!!!

Bobby
Louisiana

John Keeton
08-06-2013, 1:34 PM
And I have trouble making four of anything!! Congrats!

Dan Hintz
08-06-2013, 1:36 PM
PLEASE tell me you did this with some sort of duplicator attachment (or CNC)... After 100 done manually, I think I would shoot myself.

Peter Fabricius
08-06-2013, 2:19 PM
Hi Bobby; That is indeed a fantastic pen order and you did a fantastic job completing that many pens. I think I am with Dan on the 100 then get bored... nice job, they look great. Peter F.

Marc Himes
08-06-2013, 2:43 PM
Like John, I have trouble doing much of anything repetitive, but you have done an amazing feat. Way to go and congrats on the order, along with your ability to complete it!

Dennis Nagle
08-06-2013, 2:51 PM
Very cool. Did you use a duplicator?

Rick Gibson
08-06-2013, 3:08 PM
Largest order I ever had was 30 and he supplied the cherry he wanted them made from. I was glad when it was done I can't even imagine 1500 the same.

Jim Burr
08-06-2013, 3:24 PM
I've done 100 twice, contemplated jumping off a cliff after each, but 1500 is crazy!!! Well done Bobby and your are right on about Ernie...that brutha rocks!!

Brian Kent
08-06-2013, 4:47 PM
Hope it's not misspelled:)

John Beaver
08-06-2013, 5:06 PM
And I though you "retired" in February. I guess you have a new career. Congrats on the great order.
John

ray hampton
08-06-2013, 5:28 PM
how many boxes did you need ? 12 dozen per box =10.41 boxes , I would get confuse if I try to count the boxes

Steve Doerr
08-06-2013, 5:57 PM
That is amazing. My biggest order has been 50 and I thought I would go crazy. Can't image doing 1500. I think it's time for that retirement vacation.

Eric Gourieux
08-06-2013, 6:04 PM
That's amazing. Congrats

Matthew Little
08-06-2013, 9:56 PM
I just got to ask, how much did you charge per pen?

Baxter Smith
08-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Amazing is about all I can say.

Bobby McCarley
08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. All of the pens were done one at a time. I did buy ten sets of bushings though and would turn ten pens, take a break and then turn ten more. I tried to turn 25 to 30 pens a day and then would work on other projects. I also started out turning and finishing each pen as I went but after awhile I found that I could rough turn the pen blank to size and move on the next one and do a whole bunch and then sand and finish them. I got to where I could rough turn about 75 to 80 pens in a couple hours and then sand and finish them. I tried to leave weekends open to give myself a break so I would not get burn out on them. I do hope to have a break from turning pens before I try another order of this size.

Bobby

Kathy Marshall
08-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Wow Bobby! That is quite an accomplishment! Congrats on the order and on getting them all done! Now it's time to take a break and enjoy your retirement.

Sid Matheny
08-07-2013, 4:21 PM
Holy Cow! You need to go back to work and get some rest!

Sid