PDA

View Full Version : Is the skew right?

David Paulsen
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just bought 42 planes in a bulk buy, mainly to get a couple of them, and two of them got me thinking...

There are two moving fillisters and as the picture show, the skew of the iron goes the other way than what I think it does in the american types. How important is this? Is the skew then just there to give a shearing cut across the grain? Think I read on this forum that there is a benefit to a skewed iron as it would pull the plane inward towards the stock!? But this type will push it away no?

Another skew plane I haven't seen before. Do you know what this plane would have been used for?

Would love to hear from you knowledgeable people.

Kind regards

David

Jim Koepke
08-06-2013, 12:39 PM
It is a lot easier to see once the image is rotated:

Aside from the "pulling the plane in to the cut" this is how one wants to cut when going across the grain. It places less force on the wood at the inside of the cut and is exerting less leverage to cause blow out.

The other plane looks like it could be a smoother with an effectively lower angle. It might also make a decent shooting plane.

Finding more information on old tools like this is where the old catalogs can offer some help.

jtk

Bob Glenn
08-07-2013, 9:01 AM
Looks like a left handed skew plane vs a right handed plane. It's used on the left, thus the blade will pull it to the fence.

Jim Koepke
08-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Looks like a left handed skew plane vs a right handed plane.

That was my first thought until staring at the picture for awhile. Makes more sense with the picture rotated.

jtk

David Paulsen
08-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi guys, thank you for your reply.

Jim, thank you for the rotate and for your points about the moving fillister. I'm exited to try it in action. It's still funny though, I think, that the european and the american skews in different direction. One of those things I guess, that keeps the world turning.

I wish I could find a catalogue that could tell me what that other skew plane was used for. I don't think it was for shooting. But you might be right about the lower angle of cut. hmmm, that plane is going to be fun to try as well, even if I don't know it's original intended use.