PDA

View Full Version : Burl to Open Hollow Form Before and After

Marc Himes
08-06-2013, 6:50 AM
This was a Maple burl which was quite irregular. I wanted to use hollowing techniques to turn a semi-closed form. There was not much figure in the Burl and initially it did not take dye very well so I added texture to the inside and colored it with several different layers of dyes. I have included some pictures of the burl as it was being turned. C&C welcome.

John Keeton
08-06-2013, 7:11 AM
Marc, that looks like a faceplate full of shrapnel just waiting for a chance to explode!! Nice result - I like the textured idea on the inside. So, is this the first "true" retirement piece? Are you bored yet?

joe marra
08-06-2013, 9:16 AM
Love it, just started turning and love the burls.

Grant Wilkinson
08-06-2013, 2:08 PM
I really like the end result. I also like that you are not posting about your recent trip to the emergency room. :-)

Dennis Nagle
08-06-2013, 2:52 PM
Very nice work. I really dig the colors.

Marc Himes
08-06-2013, 3:06 PM
Thanks for comments Guys. My last three posted pieces including this were all completed before 7/31 which was my last day of employment. Prior to retiring I would find a little time to work in my shop but no time to post. Now I can do some of both and even go fishing, like I did this morning with my friend Al Hunter here in the UP. I brought along a visitor, fellow Creeker, Jeff Nicol, who is up here visiting with Steve Schlumpf and doing a demo for our club this evening. We had a great time and even caught some fish.

Your comments about safety are right on. There were times that this was a little scary and I was always mindful of the line of fire and covered appropriately. That does not mean it was completely safe, but I was fortunate with no big chunks flying off. I have had times when conventional pieces went flying, so safety is very important, even with regular shaped pieces, but especially with pieces like this.

John, I have had several people ask me if I will be bored. I tell them "I may get Burled, but I won't get bored".

Thanks again for the comments.

Marc