PDA

View Full Version : NewB asking for advice on new skew

Michael Dedon
08-05-2013, 4:29 PM
I bought my mini (Rikon 70-100) about 8 years ago and pieced together a small set of tools from Woodcraft, one being a 3/4" skew. A few months later we moved and everything got packed and sat until about two months ago. I unpacked it and decided to teach myself how to use that skew. I'm pretty sure I've figured it out and that is where I need some advice. I've been turning pens using more and more AR and PR blanks. I use a Tormek for sharpening and after a fresh sharpening the ribbons just come flying off but rapidly die off until it feels like I have to push to get any kind of cut. It's like my edge is just going away in a couple of minutes. My spindle gouge doesn't have that problem but I can't live without my skew. Without getting into the carbide tools can someone recommend a good skew, not just for pens, that won't break the bank. The current one is a Crown. Thanks, Mike...

Thom Sturgill
08-05-2013, 5:29 PM
If you are willing to make your own handle, I really like my Thompson, and the 3/4" was about $75. Packard has the Henry Taylor skew and their own brand of 'rolled edge' skew - both are less than $50.The skew is commonly the only wood turning tool that is honed. Get a diamond hone and keep it handy - only takes a few strokes to get the edge back.

Jeremy Hamaker
08-05-2013, 6:33 PM
Crown is generally a good brand, to me...
Thom makes a good point: diamond hone. The skew has the most acute angle of all the chisels so it's going to lose it's sharpness rather quickly. Cut a bit, run it on the hone, cut some more.
I'm not shy about buying tools myself, whether necessary or not. But if you've got other things you want to spend your money on, try the hone first...
Good Luck!

Michael Dedon
08-05-2013, 7:00 PM
I just looked at the Thompson. I have a problem when I have to touch up a tool two or three times to turn one single barrel pen tube. My gouge is a Crown and it never has a complaint when I use it for other purposes. And I do have the honing stones, both diamond and natural. I think I'll give Packard a call and roll my own handle. I've got some Purpleheart left if my wife doesn't catch me using it. Thanks for the responses.

Michael Mills
08-05-2013, 9:29 PM
I have never had a problem with my Crown HSS.
They do still make carbon steel as shown here at Woodworker Supply.
http://woodworker.com/5-pc-1-carbon-turning-set-mssu-873-826.asp?search=&searchmode=2

Maybe you skew is carbon steel? It will take a fine edge but dulls quickly.

Michael Dedon
08-05-2013, 9:48 PM
It must be something like that. My roughing, spindle, bowl gouges and round nose scraper are all Crown and no unusual problems holding an edge on those. It's just the skew. And it didn't just start when I started on the acrylics. I started noticing it on some of the denser hardwoods. It just became more irritating on the plastics. Thanks guys...

Richard Casey
08-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Mike, do a Google search for checking the quality of steel by the sparks they give off from a grinder. It maybe only Carbon, or could be HSS but may have not been tempered correctly during manufacture,
rgds,
Richard.

robert baccus
08-05-2013, 10:23 PM
If you really use a tool a lot(even a skew???) go ahead and get a good one. A Thompson, Glaser or any of the high vanadium powder steel models. The tool will last you for decades of enjoyment. Try the 6" disc diamond hones--cheap on E- Bay in various grits for really sharp edges.

Jim Burr
08-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Glaser can be bought for the price of 6 real tools. Thompson..Crown even Sorby. If you need to sharpen every third revolution there is more than likely a skill issue rather than a tool issue. Learn to use the skew and you won't be hampered by sharpening every 10 seconds.

Michael Dedon
08-06-2013, 8:19 AM
I've really thought about the skill issue. One day I just stood there and told myself I'm going to learn how to use this thing and then it clicked. Now I have to admit, I'm not so sure about angles, skew/bevel or otherwise and how that affects different materials and my working methods. That surely could be some of my problems. I'm still thinking I would feel better with a 1" and my 3/4" and that would also give me something to play with angles and materials. I don't think I'll jump into a Thompson at this point but you've given me some other options. Thanks..

Pat Scott
08-06-2013, 2:04 PM
Stuart Batty makes a skew as well, in widths from 1/2" to 1.25" (SB Woodturning - www.woodturning.org). You have to buy one of his Taper Lock handles, but once you do that, the handle can be used with his other tools. You can also use Thompson blades or other brands with his handles, which will require a Bolster ($18.50) to adapt other blades to his handle. I really like his handles, they fit my hand great, good grip with the 6-sided lobe design, they are light and strong and do not transmit vibration like other handles. They are not cold to the touch in winter, and best of all when you lay the tool down on the lathe bed, it doesn't roll! I can't wait for his Elliptical Bowl Gouge to come out later this year. Match it up with one of his 16" or 20" handles and I think you'll have one sweet tool.

Peter Fabricius
08-06-2013, 2:26 PM
Hi Michael; I am glad you have learned to use the Skew... Could you please take a still (lathe OFF) picture of how you address the wood with the Skew edge and bevel. This will be very helpful for members to make comments on your technique. Thanks... Peter F.