PDA

View Full Version : LG Washer/Dryer--Anyone have this pair?

Matt Meiser
08-05-2013, 8:59 AM
Looking at buying this washer (http://www.lowes.com/pd_452009-49317-WM2250CW_4294857981__?productId=4484042&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1) and dryer (http://www.lowes.com/pd_452011-49317-DLG2251W_4294857980__?productId=4484046&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1) as early as lunch time today, well at least the washer since the dryer has to be ordered. Anyone have anything bad to say about them?

Also..we were thinking of the pedestals and have the vertical clearance, but access to the shutoff would be difficult. I'm thinking, that would be commonplace. I have easy access to the PEX lines from the basement and could install additional shutoffs for emergencies down there in not much more time than it would take to drag out the tools. Any thoughts on how acceptable that would be? LOML is OK, but not thrilled with not having the pedestals. We even happen to keep the stepladder right by where they'd be.

George Bokros
08-05-2013, 9:12 AM
I do not have any LG appliance but I have heard some not favorable things about LG particularly washers. On another note if she does not have a front loader currently they are different. My sister-in-law has a front loader and is not happy with it, I don't think it is an LG.

We have a Maytag Bravos top loader that is a high efficiency washer and uses little water, cleans fantastic and wife is totally happy with it. The new high efficiency washers require you to run it through a cleaning cycle every so many loads though, front loader do the same. We have had it for ~five years and it has been problem free. Mys son and daughter-in-law just purchased the current model of this machine and is also very happy with it.

We got ours at HD, son got his I think from Sears since he had a $50 credit of some sort from Sears.

Give the machine a look.

George

David Weaver
08-05-2013, 9:13 AM
I'm a big fan of the fisher paykel pair (the ecosmart - the cheap one, a high-efficiency top load). My wife does about 8 loads of laundry a week (don't ask) and they have held up well so far for about 8 years. I did have to replace a bearing surface in the dryer, but that was at a cost of $25 for some specifically cut UHMW strips and the holder for them - after 7 years of about 8 loads a week.

Water consumption is similar to front load washers, maybe less, spins 1000 rpm is very quiet and no transmission (presume some of the front loaders might be direct drive, too). Motor and drive system has a 10 year warranty in case you're iffy about an electronically controlled motor and no transmission. Capacity of the washer is the same cu ft of the LG you linked.

More gadgets than it has (you get load control, temperature control, spin speed control, etc, or all of it automatic if you don't want to think about it), and reliability drops. Got it a couple of years ago at the suggestion of an appliance repair guy, though the dryer at the time was a GE dryer with better electronics (which means the mechanical parts are easy to find if you need bearings or something).

MIL (who gave my wife the laundry affliction, splitting everything into a million tiny loads) has been through two maytag neptune front loaders in the same period of time. She doesn't like the way the lid looks on the FP so she will keep buying disposable washers. Convinced two more of wife's relatives to get the same washer we have a year later, and they have also been problem free.

Of course, if FP has gone to china since then, then all of that is out the window.

dennis thompson
08-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't know anything about LG but I recently had my dryer (a 10 year old GE) repaired. While the repairman was here,( I've used him for years & trust him), I asked if I should get a new dryer, He said absolutely not, keep fixing this until you can't fix it anymore. The new washers & dryers are "junk"

Dan Hintz
08-05-2013, 10:42 AM
While maybe not specifically tied to LG, the most complaints I've seen over the years tied to front-load washers was mold/mildew. Because the barrels cannot completely empty of water, mold/mildew starts to build up along the door seals, particularly if you're not doing a load every day. The "solution" has been to leave the door propped open so it can dry out between washes, but that seems like a hack to me... the darn thing should just work without crutches.

Second to that complaint has been these guys just do not last... way too many plastic components in there that should still be made of metal (or at least more heavily reinforced). When I check them out in the stores, the doors alone just seem really flimsy to me.

It's tough to buy these days... even good brands can be selling junk currently, but you won't know until a couple of years later when they start breaking. Kind of like not purchasing a specific model of car until it's a few years old and you know they have the major kinks worked out.

Jim Becker
08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
We have the LG Steam Washer and LG Steam Dryer pair (with the pedestals) and they have been in use since 2008. We're largely pleased with them. If access is a concern, you can replace your standard shut-offs with automatic units that have a moisture detector you put in the pan. We did that when we placed the units here in our second floor laundry.

Dan Friedrichs
08-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't have the washer/dryer, but we have a kitchen full of LG appliances, and I've been extremely disappointed with the poor quality and wildly un-intuitive design "features".

Don Jarvie
08-05-2013, 12:59 PM
We have next model up on both the washer and dryer. I have no complaints. The washer has a sensor so it won't spin an uneven load. The washer has a drain on the bottom left that you empty once a month. It's a hose you take the plug off of and drain into a cup or bowl.

We bought ours at Sears. Opened a Sears charge and saved 5 or 10% plus I got 100 points (100 bucks) on My Rewards which turned into a drill and right angle drill.

i would recommend LG.

John McClanahan
08-05-2013, 1:40 PM
When I was refrigerator shopping, I read a lot of complaints on very poor LG customer support.

John

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-05-2013, 1:43 PM
We have had that model washer for about 3 years now. Love it. We had the included Sears check-up service performed on it around the year mark and the technician said it was in great shape and they have been good to work on. He told us they actually take very little soap to properly wash the clothes. The biggest problem people have with them is they are over-stuffing them. People seem to think they can pack it tight, but then the clothes have no room to move around and can't get clean.

Our washer takes a beating. It has washed very muddy & hairy thick horse blankets, hairy dog bedding, clothes covered in grease, diesel & fuel, weedwhacking clothes, and you name it. The washer gets the clothes clean. It also has a rinse mode to clean the machine after those very dirty wash loads.

We do not have a mold problem, but we do leave the lid open because my LOML likes it open. (So you don't need to juggle an armload of dirty clothes and try to open the lid to put them in.)

The only "problems" we have seen is the clothes were not cleaned when we over-stuffed it, and there have been 2 times water spilled out when the clothes were pulled out but that's because a nylon-type clothing trapped the water while being washed. It does take longer to wash the clothes then our old GE top loading machine, but the clothes seem much cleaner. And.. while it does have load sensing & balancing, some loads just can't be balanced.

We bought a floor demo Bosch dryer at the same time and it has worked well for us.

p.s. We do not have the pedestals.

Chuck Wintle
08-05-2013, 1:56 PM
When I was refrigerator shopping, I read a lot of complaints on very poor LG customer support.

John

i have an LG fridge and its not that impressive. After a few years the plastic around the sliding bins cracked and broke in multiple places. getting parts proved difficult as the LG parts place was disorganized, but not unhelpful though.

Chuck Wintle
08-05-2013, 1:58 PM
Looking at buying this washer (http://www.lowes.com/pd_452009-49317-WM2250CW_4294857981__?productId=4484042&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1) and dryer (http://www.lowes.com/pd_452011-49317-DLG2251W_4294857980__?productId=4484046&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1) as early as lunch time today, well at least the washer since the dryer has to be ordered. Anyone have anything bad to say about them?

Also..we were thinking of the pedestals and have the vertical clearance, but access to the shutoff would be difficult. I'm thinking, that would be commonplace. I have easy access to the PEX lines from the basement and could install additional shutoffs for emergencies down there in not much more time than it would take to drag out the tools. Any thoughts on how acceptable that would be? LOML is OK, but not thrilled with not having the pedestals. We even happen to keep the stepladder right by where they'd be.
Have you looked at the Bosch or Asko appliances?

Dan Hintz
08-05-2013, 2:02 PM
Have you looked at the Bosch or Asko appliances?

Don't know Asko, but I do remember hearing great things about Bosch appliances (at the expected higher price margin). Of course, that was years ago, so they too may have slipped.

Mark Patoka
08-05-2013, 2:06 PM
We don't have that model but we did buy an LG top-load HE washer last year. So far it is working well and uses much less water though the cycle time is like one hour to wash one load. We opted for the top-load due to the potential smell/mold issues we've heard about with the front load plus it was a super large capacity. The issue with our top-load is how deep it is. If you're a short person, you will need a stepstool just to get everything out.

Matt Meiser
08-05-2013, 2:41 PM
Just got home and we went a different route yet and bought a mid-tier Electrolux for about $500 more from the local appliance store that is who we bought all our kitchen appliances from last fall. Price differential was not insignificant, but but the local appliance place says they've had really good luck with them and that LG (which they also sell) tends to good quality but also slow for parts where Electrolux they get them overnight. Also an advantage that, I think, their duct layout will require the least fiddling to get ours hooked up and the front of the machines are free of protrusions that you might hit or snag on walking through the fairly narrow laundry room which is also where the back door is. Dryer has the steam feature which I don't know if we'll use (uh...why is there a hose hookup on the dryer???) Most importantly we should be back in the laundry biz tomorrow afternoon. Pedestals would cause an issue with vent hookups for us too so we didn't do them.

But, this is also the first time I've bought extended warranties on appliances. My parents got front loaders in the fall and dad did a bunch of research and concluded it was good insurance so I followed his lead.

And I'm still waiting for a callback from a 10:30 phone call to the other local place who didn't have a salesman available "at the moment." Can't WAIT for that call.

Jerome Stanek
08-05-2013, 2:42 PM
Remember LG is the same company that called them self Goldstar back in the 80s and 90s. Kind of a low end appliance. They changed their name to LG to try to improve their image.

Bruce Page
08-05-2013, 2:53 PM
Matt, what model Electrolux did you get? I have been researching all morning and it’s like playing Russian Roulette. Just about every brand/model has reviews where people love it or say it’s a complete piece of junk..

Matt Meiser
08-05-2013, 3:00 PM
Bruce I know the feeling. The local place hasn't steered me, or my parents, wrong yet so I went with his recommendation.

Washer is EIFLS60LSS (http://www.electroluxappliances.com/washers-dryers/Washing-Machines/Washing-Machine/EIFLS60LSS.aspx) and dryer is E1MGD60LSS (http://www.electroluxappliances.com/washers-dryers/Washing-Machines/Washing-Machine/EIFLS60LSS.aspx). We paid about $750 under MSRP for the pair, delivered. We also are eligible for $100 in rebates from our gas and electric companies. And based on current CL posttings I think I'll get $150 or so for the working dryer and 100lbs of scrap metal or so for my daughter's Girl Scout troop fund raiser.

Roy Harding
08-05-2013, 4:45 PM
Don't know Asko, but I do remember hearing great things about Bosch appliances (at the expected higher price margin). Of course, that was years ago, so they too may have slipped.

We've had a Bosch washer/dryer pair (front load washer) for about 5 years now. No issues, no problems, no service calls. The ONLY complaint is that if you leave the door of the front-load washer closed when not in use, you can get mold and mildew developing on the seal. Speaking to friends with front-load washers (of various brands), this is a problem with that particular configuration. Not a big deal (once you know about it), simply clean the seals when you're wiping down the washer with whatever household cleaner you use.

I'd echo what others have said about over-loading a front load washer - the clothes need space to tumble free during the wash cycle.

Bruce Page
08-05-2013, 7:35 PM
After a day of schlepping through appliance stores it looks like we are going to go with the Electrolux as well. It’s reviews are as good as anybody’s and apparently the Electrolux washers are the only ones that allow you to reverse the doors. The doors on every washer/dryer we looked at today are set up washer on the left, dryer on the right – the exact opposite of what we have and how we are plumbed.

Greg Portland
08-05-2013, 8:42 PM

The pedestals were very $$$ when I looked at them. Build your own!

I have a similar LG model washer (but electric dryer) and have had 1 service issue (magnet on the washer door fell off; Sears replaced it under warranty). LG makes some good washers and some horrible washers; based on the reviews it looks like this is one of the "good ones".

Phil Thien
08-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Bruce I know the feeling. The local place hasn't steered me, or my parents, wrong yet so I went with his recommendation.

Please let us know how they work for you. I'm sure a lot of others reading this are in the same boat I'm in (20-YO washer/dryer that work, but nothing lasts forever).

Matt Meiser
08-05-2013, 11:11 PM
So what's everyone put on top of these? We just redid the laundry last year and there's 5' or so of granite next to them. The tops are going to collect um..."Stuff" and I'm worried about them getting scratched up. Getting matching granite would be costly, next to impossible, and require building support so that's out. Having trouble with an idea for some kind of wood top that will look right. One thought I had that LOML kind of likes is buying some rubber matting and cutting it to the shape of the tops. Maybe a little velcro to keep it in place but allow us to take them out and hose off the soap or whatever that collects.

Brian Elfert
08-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I haven't had any problem with scratching the tops of my front loader and dryer. My washer is really dirty on top and does need to be cleaned though.

Larry Whitlow
08-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Remember LG is the same company that called them self Goldstar back in the 80s and 90s. Kind of a low end appliance. They changed their name to LG to try to improve their image.

"LG" = Lucky Goldstar. We have three LG appliances (Range, Microwave hood, and Fridge) that are less than 3 years old. I like the features but two of the three have required repairs. I wish I had bought the extended warranties. I know nothing about their washers/dryers.

Jerome Stanek
08-06-2013, 7:14 AM
"LG" = Lucky Goldstar. We have three LG appliances (Range, Microwave hood, and Fridge) that are less than 3 years old. I like the features but two of the three have required repairs. I wish I had bought the extended warranties. I know nothing about their washers/dryers.

LG= life's good also as in their tad line

Jim Becker
08-06-2013, 5:19 PM
Steam feature is very handy for de-wrinkling certain garments, including some that you can't wash "normally". It can save dry cleaning money when things are just wrinkled rather than truly dirty and needing cleaned.

About the hose...a dryer that provides steam needs a way to get water to create the steam. ;) Some use a reservoir; some use a hose. :)

Matt Meiser
08-06-2013, 6:22 PM
Just got delivered in the last hour. Glad we went with the grey--looks a lot better than the old white machines. Still feel like they need something on top--one thought I had was a maple "butcher block"

I'd apologize for the messy laundry room, but its actually cleaner than usual :eek:

Bruce Page
08-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Ordered ours today, we should have them next week. (I lost the dryer battle :rolleyes: ) Ours sit in an alcove behind bi-fold doors. I'm going to build a full size, 32" X 60" shelf just above them.

Ole Anderson
08-06-2013, 11:45 PM
We just purchased an LG washer/dryer combo, but not the one you are looking at. We stayed away from the front loading washer. So far, so good. 5070/5170 series.

Jim Stewart
08-07-2013, 12:29 AM
we have had the LG steam washer for 7 or 8 years. We love it. No repairs to date. The design with no transmission makes these units very long lasting and energy efficient. if you leave the door of the front-load washer closed when not in use, you can get mold and mildew developing on the seal. We have enough room that we just leave the door open and we wipe the door glass and seal with a towel after use. Take a few seconds.

Jim Becker
08-07-2013, 2:37 PM
Matt, given you didn't put them up on the pedestals, a good counter surface will provide excellent sorting and folding space. I don't recommend that the counter be in contact with the appliances, however.

Art Mulder
08-14-2013, 6:34 PM
I'm late to this party....

I have a pair of LG units, without the pedestals. I can't justify the price of the pedestals, but we DO wish we had them. The main reason is that these are LARGE capacity units, and with the front door it is not possible to put a basket full of laundry on the floor and THEN open the door, as it won't clear the laundry basket/pile. Yes, this sounds like a silly little thing, but when you do it practically every day (we tend to do one load a day, as opposed to doing a whole bunch of loads in one day) it becomes more and more irritating.

I have considered building my own, but have not gotten around to it yet.

As to the top... meh. Ours is a bit scratched, but not that much, after 4-5 yrs.

Paul Wunder
08-18-2013, 11:49 AM
+1 on what Dan Hintz said.

At Home Depot recently a young salesman steered me away from front loaders saying that while they are efficient there is a known issue with frequent front seal replacements due to leaks. Any appliance repair today is expensive. I was surprised that the salesman was so candid...I'm sure that management will turn him around soon.

Brian Elfert
08-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I've used front loaders for nearly a dozen years and no front seal issues yet. As far as pedestals go, I found a pair of pedestals on clearance at the local Best Buy. They didn't specifically say they worked with my model Samsung, but all of them appeared to be the same. I took the chance and they fit fine. I did have to buy two new hardware kits for them as the hardware kits with the bolts and such were gone. Still way cheaper than buying pedestals new.

Matt Meiser
10-05-2013, 10:01 AM
So far we're happy with these. A winter project is to add some bracing under the floor to reduce the vibration on the high speed spin a little.

After 2 months they are already getting a little scratched up from laundry baskets on top. We're leaning heavily toward a butcher block top. Lee Valley sells adhesive-backed neoprene so I'm thinking I'd stick strips of that on the back to isolate and keep the top from sliding anywhere. Woodcraft has them on sale this month so I could go with theirs for about $190 and cut it down to fit, or I could have Ken Craft make me one for about $20 more that would be 1-1/4" thick and the exact size I need.

Bruce Page
10-05-2013, 1:31 PM
We have been happy with the Electrolux set as well. Ours are in a closet. I bought a section of counter top from Lowes and cut it to fit. It's not high class but does the job and LOML is happy.

Dan Hintz
10-06-2013, 9:27 AM
Matt,

Do you have an Ikea local? They sell butcher block for decent prices...

Matt Meiser
10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Yes...didn't think of them. Looking online it looks like they only come 25-3/8 deep and I want 27 but we'll have to think about that.

We went to Tractor Supply to look for rubber matting (found some there before) and didn't find anything we wanted in that department. In the dog rescue department though...

Mike Hollingsworth
10-06-2013, 1:07 PM
After reading this thread and doing a bit of research, I am impressed with the Electrolux dryer.
Electrolux gives the most options for ducting. This can be a big deal.
LG offers a $50 vent kit that gives the option to vent down or to the left, but can't vent to the right due to the gas inlet.
Here are the free options on the Electrolux:

Bruce Page
10-06-2013, 1:29 PM
Electrolux was also the only manufacture (that I found) that has reversible doors on both the washer & dryer. Our laundry room plumbing and venting seems to be the opposite of the norm, so that was an important feature for us.

Brian Elfert
10-06-2013, 1:50 PM
Maytag's original Neptune washer and dryer had reversible doors, but I hadn't heard of any new models that have reversible doors until the post about Electrolux today. My builder put the dryer and dryer opposite of the ways doors are on most washers and dryer are set up. It was probably a lot easier for plumbing and venting the way it was done, but not convenient for the homeowner. Of course, front load washers and dryers were still pretty new back in 2001 so I don't blame the builder for the way they did things back then. I would be upset if a builder did it that way today.

I had never heard about Electrolux washers and dryers until this thread. They also own Frigidaire and it seems like they mostly branded everything as Frigidaire until recent years.

Bruce Page
10-06-2013, 2:21 PM
Maytag's original Neptune washer and dryer had reversible doors, but I hadn't heard of any new models that have reversible doors until the post about Electrolux today. My builder put the dryer and dryer opposite of the ways doors are on most washers and dryer are set up. It was probably a lot easier for plumbing and venting the way it was done, but not convenient for the homeowner. Of course, front load washers and dryers were still pretty new back in 2001 so I don't blame the builder for the way they did things back then. I would be upset if a builder did it that way today.

I had never heard about Electrolux washers and dryers until this thread. They also own Frigidaire and it seems like they mostly branded everything as Frigidaire until recent years.

Our house was built before front loaders became popular. Coincidentally, our Electrolux set replaced a Maytag Neptune set.