PDA

View Full Version : Appliance Repair Experts--Maytag Washer Balance Issue

Matt Meiser
08-04-2013, 9:33 PM
Our ~10 year old Maytag (real Maytag, not Whirlpool with a Maytag sticker) washer seems to have developed a balance issue. No matter what, we can't keep it balanced. It doesn't go massively out of balance enough to make the machine walk or shutdown, but enough that that it taps the side of the cabinet each time around and sounds awful. I'm thinking something must be worn out or broke in the suspension. Before I call and have the appliance repair place come out, anything I should look for that might be an easy fix?

Kevin Bourque
08-04-2013, 9:38 PM
Strangely enough mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. It got really bad, almost to the point that I thought of taking it apart to look, but instead I did a few more loads and the problem has gone away completely now. I have no explanation why.

Bruce Page
08-04-2013, 9:58 PM
Argh! Our ~15 year old Maytag Neptune died today. The CFO wants a new machine so we'll be hitting the appliance stores this week. :(

Brian Elfert
08-04-2013, 10:19 PM
My understanding is the drum/basket runs on rollers that can break or wear out.

Matt Meiser
08-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Right after I posted this it made a new noise like a slipping belt and a slight burning rubber smell and the drum doesn't spin so looks like I'm calling the appliance guy.

Matt Meiser
08-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Err...scratch that. Pulled it out and theres oil on the floor. Google says that's fatal (transmission, $250 just for the part.)

ray hampton
08-05-2013, 12:25 AM
good luck with the new trans