PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - Unisaw Has Arrived!! *pic*

Kevin Herber
05-25-2005, 7:20 PM
Hooray!! My unisaw arrived today from Woodworkers Supply. Came in 5 boxes and everything looks great. Main cabinet box had some dings so I looked it over before letting the delivery guy go. Everything is fine.

WWS specified lift gate delivery and they guy ran his pallet jack right into the garage. I couldn't ask for more. Now the fun begins - putting it together.

I'll keep y'all posted as I progress.

-- Kevin

Jim Dunn
05-25-2005, 7:22 PM
Nice saw;) Hopes you can still keep all those digits with such power:D

Bruce Page
05-25-2005, 7:26 PM
I remember that thrilling moment! :D :D :D
Enjoy!

mike malone
05-25-2005, 7:33 PM
Kewl Kevin
enjoy...it's a great saw....lots of accessories too.
mike

Peter Mc Mahon
05-25-2005, 9:54 PM
Sweet! And it tilts the RIGHT way. Peter

Allen Bookout
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Kevin, Great news! I must still be on the bad list of most all suppliers. Have not heard a thing from Woodworker's Supply about mine and nothing has been charged to my credit card. Oh well! ---- I am starting to get used to it. In the mean time I will just rejoice in the fact that you are enjoying yours.

I though about giving them a Dalhart shipping address to get it out of New Mexico instead of North Carolina but then I would have to pay the freight on to Florida. Not a good move. Could be the Jet model that I was looking at will arrive in Clearwater soon but I sure would rather have the Uni.

Looking forward to more updates on your progress and more pictures.

Allen

Dave Harker
05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Congrats! It is LOTS of fun getting a cabinet saw!

Per Swenson
05-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Very nice, Kevin,
Betcha feel like a kid at Christmas.
I believe these are some of lifes great moments,
because you will most likely have that saw longer
then your next 5 cars and or trucks.
Enjoy.
Per

Jason Tuinstra
05-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Kevin, congrats!!! I love the explosive ink thingy they put on the outside of the box to let you know if the saw took too much bumping around. Pretty cool. I just got my Uni put together after 3 months of being in the box :eek: Everything went well, except for the fact that one of holes wasn't threaded to receive the bolt for the fence. It was on the back of the saw, so no big deal, but I need to fix it. Hmmm... Anyway, I hope you have fun!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-26-2005, 8:11 AM
Kevin, Congrats on the new saw! I can't wait to see pics of it up and running.

lou sansone
05-26-2005, 8:31 AM
congratulations on the saw. you will find a big difference between this saw and a contractor saw.

best wishes
lou

John Dingman
05-26-2005, 8:32 AM
Congratulations Kevin!

You are going to love that saw!

Enjoy,
John

Kevin Herber
05-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Kevin, Great news! I must still be on the bad list of most all suppliers. Have not heard a thing from Woodworker's Supply about mine and nothing has been charged to my credit card. Oh well! ---- I am starting to get used to it. In the mean time I will just rejoice in the fact that you are enjoying yours.

I though about giving them a Dalhart shipping address to get it out of New Mexico instead of North Carolina but then I would have to pay the freight on to Florida. Not a good move. Could be the Jet model that I was looking at will arrive in Clearwater soon but I sure would rather have the Uni.

Looking forward to more updates on your progress and more pictures.

Allen

Allen - That's a real drag. :mad: You gotta be frustrated. :mad: :mad: I suggest giving WWS a call asking about the delay. Don't hesitate to tell them that you know other BO'd items are shipping. Maybe you can put a buzz in their britches to get one from where ever they got mine.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Everyone is pulling for you! :)

-- Kevin

Allen Bookout
05-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks Kevin!

With all of my complaining now I feel bad. Got a call from the Watkins Freight driver and he was here within thirty minutes, with lift gate and dolly, unloaded and wheeled it right into my garage. I sure am glad that I was here. I should have told WWS to warn me when it shipped so that I would be expecting it - my fault. It was shipped May 24th and arrived May 26th.

The shipping boxes do not even have a scratch on them. Amazing. Have a few hours of things that have to be done and then will get a look at the real thing.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN!!! Allen

markgoodall
05-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Enjoy!
I remember the thrill when my Unisaw came!

Ted Shrader
05-26-2005, 1:29 PM
Kevin -

Very cool! Congratulations. And there is a long weekend coming up so you can play with your new tool.

Still smile every time I push the start button on my cabinet saw.

Regards,
Ted

Allen Bookout
05-28-2005, 9:05 AM
I received my unisaw two days ago but was unable to start putting it togeather untill yesterday afternoon. The table top does not seen to have any type of cosmoline or simular protective greasy type protective coating on it which supprises me. I called WWS and they said that Delta is using less and less but to me it seem like that they may have sprayed it with some type of protective shield so I will just clean it with some type of solvent and coat it with T-9 and wax I suppose as there is no rust.

The one thing that I was a little dissapointed in was the finish on the table top and the wing. The top seems to be flat enough but the milling marks are there and just a little bit groved. I know that it will not effect the operation of the saw but I think that the quality of finish work of the top has suffered. The rest of the saw seems to be about perfect and everything is there and arrived undamaged.

How is your table top Kevin? I talked to Woody at WWS and he said to call Delta at 800 223 7278 and complain because they are interested in customer feedback to try to get the quality back up.

In any case a couple of hours more and I will fire it up and hope that I hear a good sound.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-28-2005, 9:12 AM
Congrats Kevin...having a nice cabinet saw can't be beat!!!!

Kevin Herber
05-28-2005, 6:04 PM
I received my unisaw two days ago but was unable to start putting it togeather untill yesterday afternoon. The table top does not seen to have any type of cosmoline or simular protective greasy type protective coating on it which supprises me. I called WWS and they said that Delta is using less and less but to me it seem like that they may have sprayed it with some type of protective shield so I will just clean it with some type of solvent and coat it with T-9 and wax I suppose as there is no rust.

The one thing that I was a little dissapointed in was the finish on the table top and the wing. The top seems to be flat enough but the milling marks are there and just a little bit groved. I know that it will not effect the operation of the saw but I think that the quality of finish work of the top has suffered. The rest of the saw seems to be about perfect and everything is there and arrived undamaged.

How is your table top Kevin? I talked to Woody at WWS and he said to call Delta at 800 223 7278 and complain because they are interested in customer feedback to try to get the quality back up.

In any case a couple of hours more and I will fire it up and hope that I hear a good sound.

That's great news Allen. Glad it hear it got to you in good condition. I agree that there was not near as much protective coating as I expected. I'm not sure what it is they put on. My other Jet machines all had a thick coating of cosmoline.

I took some WD40 and a synthetic abrasive pad and cleaned what was on there off. It looks a lot better. I agree that the surface is more grooved than I expected. I bet it is within Delta's specs tho. Mine is not too bad. I waxed the surface and it was pretty slick. I will probably spend some time with an abrasive and see if I can improve it.

The surfaces on my Jet BS, OSS and Jointer are all smoother with no machining marks. I may call Delta on Tuesday to see what they say.

I did check the flatness with a precision straight edge and it is dead flat. I am happy about that!

Overall, I have no complaints. It's coming together good but slow. I haven't had time the past two days to mess with it. Tonight I'll get some time in tho.

Enjoy yours and let me know how it works. BTW - did yours come with the WEG motor? I don't know how that compares with a Baldor.

-- Kevin

Allen Bookout
05-28-2005, 6:41 PM
Kevin, Yes - mine did come with a Weg motor. I do not know about them either but I did find their web site and it is pretty impressive. The company started in 1961 so they must be doing something right. It is locate in Brazil and this is their address: www.wegelectric.com

May be someone that has some insite into their products or electric motors will chime in.

I am just starting to put on the extension table now but do not have a wax to go over the T-9 so I do not know when I will be able to run it. I posted the question about Mothers wax.

Allen

Jim McCarty
05-28-2005, 8:49 PM
Congratulations! You're going to love it. I've had mine 25 years and it's still a pleasure to use every time I fire it up. It's by far my most productive tool. Jim:)

Allen Bookout
05-28-2005, 9:31 PM
Thanks! Kevin and I have been going along side by side. I just finished putting mine all togeather and now I am stuck with no appropriate wax. I guess that this revolting developement is called planning ahead for the holiday weekend. Allen

Kevin Herber
05-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks! Kevin and I have been going along side by side. I just finished putting mine all togeather and now I am stuck with no appropriate wax. I guess that this revolting developement is called planning ahead for the holiday weekend. Allen
Allen - Go to WalMart and get some Johnson's Paste Wax. That is what most people use. If you cannot find it there I believe grocery stores normally have some in the sundries section. It comes in a yellow and red can.

Even if you don't have it waxed, I would go ahead and use it this weekend. I can't imagine what you would do that would hurt it.

-- Kevin

Michael Pfau
05-28-2005, 11:48 PM
The best saw I have ever run! Enjoy!