PDA

View Full Version : Delrin

Robert Silvers
08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Can a 100 watt RECI (W4 or Z4) cut 1 inch Delrin? What would the edge look like? What kind of taper would there be?

Dave Sheldrake
08-04-2013, 8:33 AM
Delrin (Polyoxymethylene, Poly-Acetal) liberates Formaldehyde when cut Rob, not good to be inhaling that.

As to cutting 1 inch on a 100 watt laser? not a hope, 180's will cut 20mm acrylic and not much more using long focal length lens's, better than standard air assist and on occasion multiple passes.

The edge on Delrin isn't bad at all but does suffer with a little melting and / or balling at the cut edge.

20mm anything on a 100 watt DC tube isn't really going to happen (other than some of the foam products) the amount of heat that you would need to generate on thick materials is above the yield of most of those materials, in plastics it leads to melt back, in woods it leads to scorching.

best wishes

Dave

Robert Silvers
10-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the chemical warning.

Today I tried 1/4 inch black Delrin. It cut at 3mm sec and 90% power. It does heat up and sputter on the edges.

I also tried Garolite XX and it would not cut at all. I went down to 1mm/sec and only cut into it about 0.5mm. Tough stuff.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/1280x1024/209/ej28.jpg