PDA

View Full Version : Sommerfeld Katie Jig - another thread

Mark W Pugh
08-03-2013, 9:47 PM
OK, I've read a lot of OLD threads on this jig. Does anyone have one, and how do you like it? Please, no comments on cutting dovetails by hand. I just need to know if this product works as shown in the videos, that he produces. Thanks.

Cliff Medina
09-30-2013, 1:17 PM
OK, I've read a lot of OLD threads on this jig. Does anyone have one, and how do you like it? Please, no comments on cutting dovetails by hand. I just need to know if this product works as shown in the videos, that he produces. Thanks.

I have been using it for a few weeks now as i have about 20 drawers both through and half blind. It works great. Very easy to setup and use.

Cliff

Nick Lazz
09-30-2013, 2:27 PM
Maybe this isn't what you want to hear...but I looked at all of these jigs a few years back and landed on the Keller. Why? there are no moving parts and I can use it on my router table. I have an Incra type system that is an absolute joke to set up. Sommerfeld has the same issues based on the video, IMO.

Rick Potter
09-30-2013, 7:55 PM
I recently bought the small Keller, but haven't used it yet. Notice their are two different types of these jigs. My preference would be for a jig that uses bearing guided router bits rather than guide bushings. Eliminates another possible area for mistakes.

Peachtree has recently brought out another copy of the Keller. If nothing else check out their videos by Mad Mike, demonstrating them at a show. The jig looks like a direct copy, but they came out with some really nice clamps to hold the work, which are available separately. They use a t-track in the wood backer you make (or they sell), and the clamps look much easier to use than using F-clamps. You can also go to their website, and find it under Router Accessories. Their are two dovetail jigs, get the right one, then the clamps are just down the page.

I am definitely getting the clamps and making the backer with the T-track, and sacrificial bottom strips, to go with my Keller jig.

Rick Potter

Wade Lippman
09-30-2013, 8:40 PM
Maybe this isn't what you want to hear...but I looked at all of these jigs a few years back and landed on the Keller. Why? there are no moving parts and I can use it on my router table. I have an Incra type system that is an absolute joke to set up. Sommerfeld has the same issues based on the video, IMO.
I looked at their website and they do it with a handheld router. I want one that works on a table. Please explain.

joseph dake
09-30-2013, 8:53 PM
I just flipped mine over and use it on the table.

paul cottingham
09-30-2013, 9:11 PM
I use my Keller the same way on a router table. In act its ally use my router table for anymore.

Phil Thien
09-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I looked at their website and they do it with a handheld router. I want one that works on a table. Please explain.

Wade, if you look at post #8 in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?176804-Souping-Up-the-Keller-Dovetail-Jig&highlight=keller

You can see how I adapted mine to router table use. Works great. You certainly don't need to do the sacrificial fences like I did, I just thought it would save time in the long run.

Rick Potter
10-01-2013, 1:36 AM
Hey Phil,

What happens to your sacrificial fences if you don't put a new one on for different thickness of drawer members? When I watch that Peachtree video, they say that theirs is the only one that will work on all thickness's of wood without changing the backboard. I cannot figure that one out.

I assume when you cut 3/4" pieces, after using it for 1/2" pieces, it would raise the height of the dovetail, and mess up the backer board. Am I missing something?

Rick Potter

Phil Thien
10-01-2013, 9:43 AM
I assume when you cut 3/4" pieces, after using it for 1/2" pieces, it would raise the height of the dovetail, and mess up the backer board. Am I missing something?

Rick Potter

You are correct, that is why I made extra backer boards, and why I made them so I could flip them over (two heights per backer).

I'll have to watch the Peachtree video, have a link?

Rick Potter
10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry Phil, no link....computer dummy. I can do pictures now....sometimes. Flipping the backer over for two sizes, great idea, never would have thought of it...until after I built it.

Edit: I just binged 'youtube mad mike dovetail video' and it came right up. Be aware there are two, one is better quality than the other. I think they were taken by an attendee at the WW show.

Rick P

Phil Thien
10-01-2013, 2:00 PM
Their jig is pretty much a carbon copy of the Keller jig, so their backer boards will need to be changed with changes in bit height, too.

Nick Lazz
10-02-2013, 5:08 AM
I just flipped mine over and use it on the table.

What he said...