PDA

View Full Version : How do you get Directv to take you off their mailing list???

Clarence Martin
08-03-2013, 4:34 PM
Has anyone else had to deal with that company??? I don't have Directv or any other satilite TV system , yet they keep sending me those "you have been pre-selected" junk mailings. I called their 800 number, and they said I don't have Directv. Well DUHHH!!! :rolleyes: I told her I don't have it and I don't want it and to have them take me off their mailing list. They said I am not on their mailing list , it's a mass market mailing. Well, they said they would not longer mail the junk mailings to me , but that was 2 months ago and still getting the junk !!

Anyone know how to get them to stop their junk mail ????????????

Bruce Page
08-03-2013, 5:10 PM
Life's too short. Just throw it in the trash and don't stress over it.

Matt Meiser
08-03-2013, 5:27 PM
You might not be on their corporate mailing list, you might be on some resellers list. We get them CONSTANTLY for Hughesnet from several resellers. I sort the mail on the way into the house--recycling and keepers. Many days it all goes in the first stack.

Randy Henry
08-03-2013, 5:32 PM
I used to be in the same boat, until I started shredding all their papers, and putting it back into their mail back envelope where they pay the postage. After several of those, all the junk mail pretty well is gone.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2013, 6:17 PM
I used to be in the same boat, until I started shredding all their papers, and putting it back into their mail back envelope where they pay the postage. After several of those, all the junk mail pretty well is gone.

I used to do that only with out the shredding part. Stuff everything including the envelope it came in back in their postage paid envelope and drop it in the mail box on the corner.

ray hampton
08-03-2013, 6:24 PM
sending the mail back to them is a good idea but do not shredded it , they see the powder and will CALL THE Police

Chris Parks
08-03-2013, 8:48 PM
Put all the other junk mail in their return envelope and send it back.

ray hampton
08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
What about adding a brick to a box with their envelope and mail the weight postage due

Matt Meiser
08-04-2013, 9:21 AM
What about recycling it instead of wasting time on something that won't do any good?

Mark Bolton
08-04-2013, 9:28 AM
I agree with sending it all back in the return envelope. The postal service needs the business and the only motivator for these ninnies is to hurt them financially. The cost of the postage and then the processing g of a junk filled envelope is the only hope to change their behavior.

Robert Delhommer Sr
08-04-2013, 10:33 AM
If the junk they send has any postage paid junk in it, just send the postage paid return with remove me. The Post Office needs the extra income if they can deliver it correctly. :)

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-04-2013, 3:19 PM
Collect them for a bit, then write on all of them "Return to sender. Not here" or something like that and send them back to Directv. It may take a few times, but it will eventually get you removed from their mailing list. Comcast is another one of those annoying mass mailers.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing like a 'do not mail' registry like they have for the 'do not call' list and telemarketers.

Brian Elfert
08-04-2013, 4:07 PM
Try dmachoice.org to sign up to get less junk mail. It helps somewhat as not every mailer uses the service.

Larry Browning
08-04-2013, 4:29 PM
It is interesting to me that junk mail bothers some people so much. I just never give it much thought at all. It is just a daily ritual to through away the junk and keep the good. Can someone give me some insight why junk mail make some people so mad? I think the anger is even higher for junk email as well. I just throw it away without much thought at all. Life is just too short to let such a trivial thing get me mad.

Brian Elfert
08-04-2013, 5:41 PM
I think in some cases it would be almost impossible to get off the mailing list. Some mailings are simply dropped in every single mailbox along the route and may not even have your address on them. You could probably never get off every mailing list no matter how much you tried.

Like Larry, I'm not sure why folks get so worked up over junk mail. Yes, it takes natural resources to create the paper, but wood is renewable and trees for paper grow back pretty quick.

Lynda Moodie
06-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Go to https://support.directv.com/contact. Click on “Chat with Us” and tell the chat representative that you no longer want to receive notices from DirecTV by U.S. mail or by e-mail. You WILL be removed from both contact lists.

Leo Graywacz
06-25-2017, 10:45 PM
junk mail is better than bills.

Ed Labadie
06-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Has anyone else had to deal with that company??? I don't have Directv or any other satilite TV system , yet they keep sending me those "you have been pre-selected" junk mailings. I called their 800 number, and they said I don't have Directv. Well DUHHH!!! :rolleyes: I told her I don't have it and I don't want it and to have them take me off their mailing list. They said I am not on their mailing list , it's a mass market mailing. Well, they said they would not longer mail the junk mailings to me , but that was 2 months ago and still getting the junk !!

Anyone know how to get them to stop their junk mail ????????????

The only escape is death.....

That goes for Charter too.

Ed

Bill Jobe
06-26-2017, 1:18 AM
If you want to vent on a person and not a computer visit your local Menards. They have a Directv rep there all the time in my area. Make a big ruckus, drawing a lot of attention from customers and they just might put you through to someone that will take you serious. They don't want someone making them look bad while they are trying to sell subscribers.

Jim Koepke
06-26-2017, 1:20 AM
One of my postal carriers calls it jobs mail. If it can keep the post office going, a little frustration is worth it.

One of the big local industries is paper. When I complain about getting a 3 foot long receipt for a single item purchase, this "being a paper making city" is almost an automatic response.

jtk

Jim Becker
06-26-2017, 8:32 AM
The recycle bin is your friend...

Chuck Wintle
06-26-2017, 9:58 AM
Life's too short. Just throw it in the trash and don't stress over it.
This! Or buy a paper shredder for home use...maybe $25....i find it works quite well.

Yonak Hawkins
06-26-2017, 10:29 AM
junk mail is better than bills.

While true, you'll still get the bills whether you get the junk mail or not.

Leo Graywacz
06-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Yes, but when you go out there and sort through the mail and you don't find bills, it just makes the day a little nicer. Oh...they'll come, but when they aren't there.....

Brian Henderson
06-26-2017, 12:26 PM

I do the same thing with every credit card solicitation. The pre-paid envelopes all go back in the mail and have for years, but I still get them. That's fine. If I have to go to the time and expense of shredding it, they get to pay for it.

Brian Henderson
06-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Collect them for a bit, then write on all of them "Return to sender. Not here" or something like that and send them back to Directv. It may take a few times, but it will eventually get you removed from their mailing list. Comcast is another one of those annoying mass mailers.

Most of them send to "or current occupant" so I don't know how much good that will do. They don't care who opens the junk mail, so long as someone does.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing like a 'do not mail' registry like they have for the 'do not call' list and telemarketers.

Not that anyone pays the slightest bit of attention to the "do not call" list. I've had telemarketers laugh at me when I said I was on the list. It's useless.

Brian Henderson
06-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Go to https://support.directv.com/contact. Click on “Chat with Us” and tell the chat representative that you no longer want to receive notices from DirecTV by U.S. mail or by e-mail. You WILL be removed from both contact lists.

Only if DirecTV is the one sending them, which they may not be. I get things from local resellers all the time and DirecTV has no control over that.

Rick Potter
06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
I can dump 20 junk mails in the time one robo call takes. I had one wake up the household at 11:45 the other night. He said my computer was malfunctioning. I am ashamed to admit it, but I lost my cool and told him to do something anatomically impossible.

Matt Meiser
06-26-2017, 1:15 PM
I haven't seen a credit card app in the mail that has had anything remotely private in years. I don't even open them to check anymore. I bet 90% of our mail by volume, excluding packages, goes straight into the recycle bin. Even the gas bill that came today for example I throw away 2 envelopes and some kind of ad insert every month and keep the 1 sheet that is the actual bill. I don't think we can get that one electronically for some reason.

Erik Loza
06-26-2017, 8:44 PM
I quit my AAA auto membership over ten years ago and still get physical mail from them with the whole, "last notice" thing.

I never paid for Fine Woodworking Magazine (I think they comped me a subscription from the Minimax USA days, which died in 2010) and somehow, they followed me to a new address with magazines.

Erik

Erik

Brian Henderson
06-26-2017, 9:20 PM
I quit my AAA auto membership over ten years ago and still get physical mail from them with the whole, "last notice" thing.

I never paid for Fine Woodworking Magazine (I think they comped me a subscription from the Minimax USA days, which died in 2010) and somehow, they followed me to a new address with magazines.

Erik

Erik

AAA has been sending me their Westways magazine for nearly 25 years for free. They started charging me for it way back when, then removed the charge but forgot to stop sending the magazine. It just gets thrown away the second it comes in the door.

Bruce Page
06-26-2017, 10:22 PM
I cancelled my subscription to the Sunday Albuquerque Journal newspaper 3 years ago but they still throw one in my driveway every Sunday morning. I called them twice and reported it..
That would’ve never happened when I delivered papers as a kid. The right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing today.

Matt Meiser
06-26-2017, 10:30 PM
When we bought this house we contracted the same trash company we'd been using at the old house. One morning I noticed they looked in my trash can and left. I went out and it was empty. Over the next couple weeks I noticed the same. Finally one morning I caught the guys and they said they they had never had to pick up trash at our house. Turns out the previous owner's company had been picking it up. This went on for well over a year. Worked out nice when I had a section of broken up sidewalk to dispose of. I put in about 50lbs twice on trash day for a couple weeks.

Now here's the funny part. The can has the company's name on the side on about a 8x10 white and red sticker!

Brent Cutshall
06-27-2017, 6:37 AM
They keep misspelling my name when they send me mail.

Bruce Wrenn
06-28-2017, 5:02 PM
If they happen to send you a "Return Postage Paid" envelope, tape it to a box of bricks, with a letter inside asking to be removed from their mailing list. Works for me!

Andrew Pitonyak
07-03-2017, 2:34 PM
The problem is likely that they do a mass mail to all addresses in a certain area. They might apply a filter to not include existing customers. But I am just guessing.

Rick Gibson
07-06-2017, 10:38 PM
If it has a postage paid return envelope I send it back but the paper get shredded and added to my compost pile where it will do some good.