PDA

View Full Version : Miller Falls #74 Miter Box

Andrew Kertesz
08-03-2013, 1:54 PM
I found what I thought was a deal on a Millers Fall #74 size 2 1/2 miter box today locally for $40.00. I was told it had been in the family for 3 generations. I'm waiting for the batteries for the camera to charge so there is proof. My first question is; What is the difference between the 74 and the 74c? Any suggestions on cleaning the handle without destroying the original finish?

Jim Koepke
08-03-2013, 4:33 PM
My recollection is there was a thread on this recently.

Use the SMC search function to find a few different threads. If my memory is working the main difference is in how the angles are marked.

jtk

Andrae Covington
08-04-2013, 1:39 PM
I found what I thought was a deal on a Millers Fall #74 size 2 1/2 miter box today locally for $40.00. I was told it had been in the family for 3 generations. I'm waiting for the batteries for the camera to charge so there is proof. My first question is; What is the difference between the 74 and the 74c? Any suggestions on cleaning the handle without destroying the original finish?

There's a nice reference site here: https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/home/model-guide

They seem as unsure about the reason for the "C" designation as I am, but note that it started to appear in the 1950's. If the label is clearly readable and is only 74 instead of 74C, then it is probably an earlier model. Check underneath the base for a manufacturing date for possible confirmation.

Bill Fleming
08-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Andrew

I don't all the specifics about each model but there are probably other small differences.

I have a 74A and it has 3 adjustable ball bearings that run on the saw back (3 on each support post). I haven't been able to look up close but it looks like the 74 has 2 set screws rather than bearings that adjust the fit on the saw back. Perhaps someone else can comment on whether the bearings continued on other models.

Cheers, Bill