PDA

View Full Version : lathe articulated lighting designs?

Jay Yoder
08-03-2013, 10:23 AM
hey all, I am setting up my lathe area and would like to add an adjustable arm type lamp that makes it easy to position the light quickly. In one of the woodworking magazines, there was a short article that showed one but I can't seem to locate it. I had a metal frame type but it got destroyed in the move. Any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

charlie knighton
08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
you might go to ikea, they have lights with magnetic bases and clip on bases with adjustable necks, about $20, but watch for specials. you will still need your normal lighting, but you can focus those lights where you need them. i have just normal 4 ft overhead lights plus 2 ikea lights.

Mark Baker used the lights in a utah rotation, one position to light the front of the turning and one position to light the back of the turning. be careful of the cords and only reposition with the lathe off, shows the ghost or wing of a turning better.

Grant Wilkinson
08-03-2013, 7:49 PM
I mounted a Moffat onto the end of a 3-link articulated arm that I put together using metal scraps, hardwood scraps and roller blade bearings. Between the articulate arm and the bendable neck of the Moffat, I can put this thing pretty much any where I like.

Thomas Canfield
08-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I added a wedge block to the spindle gage arm at the headstock end, and a wood block off the back of the tailstock to mount the little mounting piece for the Moffat lamp. You can get the extra mount pieces from Craft Supply and other sources. The headstock mount works for most bowl work and the one on the tailstock end for hollowing since I do not usually remove (don't have a tilt or swing) the tailstock but just move it to end of the bed extension.

Doug W Swanson
08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
I bought a used loading dock light on craigslist for $40. Here it is mounted on the wall:

Works great!

Richard Jones
08-04-2013, 8:52 AM
267850Here's mine. 2 Moffatt lights, both travel with the sliding headstock.

Marvin Hasenak
08-04-2013, 2:04 PM
Places that sell industrial sewing machine tables also sell long gooseneck lamps.

John Keeton
08-04-2013, 4:15 PM
There happen to be some available on the bay right now - search for "FLEXIBLE GOOSENECK lamps LIGHT steel Bendable 21" long for sewing machine." $11.95 each. There are two less than were available a few minutes ago!;)

Jay Yoder
08-06-2013, 9:17 PM
Thanks for all the help! I found one of my lights, but may still look for the gooseneck lamps online! Thanks again!