PDA

View Full Version : Question for the experienced pen turners

Tony Giroux
08-03-2013, 10:03 AM
My primary turning interests is segmented bowls, vases, etc. Now, wife & daughter have drug me into turning the little stylus' that people use on smart phones & tablets. They got me a mandrel & a some kits to get started. Seems these are popular little gadgets and a good way to use the little scrap left over from the bowls.

Building from the kits is kind of pricey, usually $5+ per kit. I am able to find the 7mm tube, easily enough, and the rubber stylus tips are readily available. But finding the little cap, with the eyelet in it for a key ring or loop has been a complete failure. Seems like you have to buy a whole kit to get one of these. The picture shows what I'm looking for. The loop with the audio jack plug isn't important. It is the cap with the eyelet that I need.

Any vendors out there that will sell just these caps?

Thanks for any hints.

Dan Masshardt
08-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Exoticblanks.com has the whole kit for $3.25, $2.95 if you buy 7 or more.

I'm not aware of a vendor who sells those caps alone.

Tom Wilson66
08-03-2013, 2:11 PM
Could turn with a closed end and drill a hole in the blank to use instead of the finial. Or just turn a finial piece with a tenon to fit the 7mm tube and glue it on.

Jim Burr
08-03-2013, 9:05 PM
I make dozens of Slimlines with the stylus tip in the end.

Len Mullin
08-03-2013, 10:20 PM
You should be able to get these on E-Bay. Len

Eric Gourieux
08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Tony,

Let me make some suggestions.

1) I would only use the newer stylus tips that are REPLACEABLE. Those rubber tips (even the "brand name" tips) will break or tear. If you don't use the replaceable tips, they are very difficult to replace.

2) The string loop/AC jack is useless. That being said, the cap with the eyelet may also not be needed. Personal preference, of course

I have made a bunch of styli with various 7mm tubes and an end cap (and sometimes a clip) from a Slimline pen. You can purchase extra end caps where ever you purchase the stulus tips.