PDA

View Full Version : A green machine

Richard Krushner
08-02-2013, 7:21 PM
Just 'won' this on ebay today. Mechanism works fine, but thick with old hard grease. Height adjustment is rusted tight; which will take a little work to set free. Cannot wait to get started cleaning it up.

The handle is cracked beyond repair. I guess I will have to find and old treadle lathe and turn a new one. I may have an addiction.

Jim Matthews
08-02-2013, 8:39 PM
I may have an addiction.

May?
If you've more than one of these, it's certain.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2013, 8:46 PM
Height adjustment is rusted tight; which will take a little work to set free.

The back height adjustment or the threaded adjustment?

The handle is cracked beyond repair. I guess I will have to find and old treadle lathe and turn a new one.

It looks like the wheel could take a belt. Why not just set up a treadle next to it and drive it by foot to free up one of your hands?

jtk

Richard Krushner
08-02-2013, 8:55 PM
The back height adjustment or the threaded adjustment?

jtk

The back height adjustment is jammed. The advancing mechanism is fine, although it would be nice if I could modify it to be able descend/ascend driven with the main crank.

Tony Zaffuto
08-03-2013, 6:44 AM
May?
If you've more than one of these, it's certain.

One? I have three (but one is a bench mounted, hand feed).

Jacob Nothstine
08-03-2013, 9:17 PM
I have been looking for a drill press like this for my kids. They have a hard time using a brace or eggbeater drill. I would soak it in break-free, Liquid Wrench or something similar for a few days then give it a try. Great fine.

george wilson
08-03-2013, 10:05 PM
You have to turn the big crank with one hand,and tighten the vertical adjustment with the other to make the drill bite!! Work better be clamped down. No thanks!

Richard Krushner
08-04-2013, 3:21 AM
You have to turn the big crank with one hand,and tighten the vertical adjustment with the other to make the drill bite!! Work better be clamped down. No thanks!

I have not used it yet, nor used one before. Especially as it is now in pieces being de-greased, de-rusted and paint striped. I will see how it goes with the manual vertical movement. I think I could add a mechanism to drive the vertical movement off the crank.