PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up: nice files, nice square

Frederick Skelly
08-02-2013, 6:40 PM
Bought 3 Iwasaki files and a small i-gaging double square, based on posts here in the last few weeks plus a few in the archives.

I was about to order a Liogier-made rasp from TBT but was intrigued by everything I kept reading about the Iwasakis. (Especially a test by George Wilson in the archives. Thanks George!) Anyway, I tried them out at a store and they really impressed me with how much material they took off and how smoothly they cut. So I bought a flat coarse, flat fine and a medium half round. Man do these things cut. They are kind of like what a sureform plane would be if you made it solid. And they ARE solid. I may have to go online and order a few more - I hear Woodcraft has a sale.

I'm not sure I need a rasp any more, for the kinds of work I do. (But then, there's always Christmas and I might just splurge.)

I was still skeptical on the double square. But again, I kept hearing you guys love them. So I ordered a 4" last week from Woodcraft and it arrived today. I immediately "got it". This is going to be a very handy tool. It's got the features of my 12" combo square in a more useful size. Used it to mark the handles for my new files. Nice! The only downside is that the graduations and numbers look painted on or something, rather than etched. But it's a $20 tool- you cant expect everything, as long as it stays accurate I'm good.

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice guys.
Fred

Chris Griggs
08-02-2013, 7:11 PM
Excellent. They are indeed great. I have one. I would not hesitate to get more. Glad you are pleased with them too!

george wilson
08-02-2013, 7:41 PM
It is always good to hear that someone has benefited from my advice. I am also very keen on Nicholson supper shear files. But,the only way you can get them not is the stray NOS one on Ebay. Fortunately,I have a supply on hand here.