PDA

View Full Version : The Ugly tool love thread...

Chris Hachet
08-02-2013, 4:07 PM
So this is the thread to brag about all of the tools that you have that are ugly and work well. We had a nasty debate about LV vs LN here recently, and everyone is braging about their shiny new tools. Heck, I just sent money off to Rob for that LV Router plane and some skew chisels. Rob should be happy...but I digress.

Ugly tools I love.

My #5 Stanly jack, type 13. Blade is the third blade or so in this thing, it dates to the first quarter of 1939 (same age as my father, I think of him every time I use this plane) Thinking of getting a PMV 111 blade for it....but it cost $15 and it has worked well for 25 years.

My even uglier #4 Stanly, type 17-Nice thick WW II sole, holds an adjustment perfectly. I keep trying to kill this thing, seriously. It just won't die. I use it to plane doors, fix decks, plane mailbox posts, strip paint off of barnwood, trim plywood for drawer bottoms in furniture that I am fixing for people-and it's dumb enough to keep coming back for more.

My Miefer chisels. They are of a very ahrd steel, and a pain to get sharpened. But again,I have been using them for 25 years. I have done demolition work with them with framing hammers on old houses that I have restored, used them to open paint cans and lift old linoleunm, and pretty much tried to destroy them. I've even done the 16 ounche framing hammer thing with them. The backs are still flat, and with a fresh hollow grind, they cut hard maple flawlessly. But they are ugly.

My workbench. Embarassingly ugly, but ungodly heavy and stable. Works well, but been beaten on and it shows.

Anceint small back saw that's ugly but still cuts well, useful for tennons but worthless on dovetails. Again, used 20 plus years. Thankfully, I've gotten several nicer old back saws lately.

My Stanly Block planes. I just got a nice Stanley 220 off of another wood worker, but I ahve two older uglier ones, one belonged to my paternal grandfather, one belonged to my maternal grandfather. Maternal grandfather used his in his flooring business for 40 years, it rolled around in the back of his work vehicles with the rest of his tools....but the sole is still flat and it still cuts really well.

But enough of me...what Ugly tools do you have and love? I'd like to know.

jamie shard
08-02-2013, 7:49 PM
This thread will be nothing without pictures! :)

Jim Koepke
08-02-2013, 8:36 PM
This thread will be nothing without pictures! :)

Agree and a big +1 on what Jamie said.

That is why my response waited for a trip with the camera out to the shop.

Many things in the ilk of ugly have an inner beauty able only to be revealed by some TLC from one who is willing to love it for what it is.

Here are but a few items previously ugly brought home from rust hunts. Some retain all of what made them ugly but the inner beauty shines through obscuring their scars and blemish.

The planes from left to right are a #5-1/4, possibly one of my worst deals on an ebay plane. Most likely this came from a shop class. There are cracks around the mouth going back into the sole. It is now my scrub plane. For a long time it made me feel embarrassed every time it was handled.

The #102 was a Restore find. All the pieces were separated in a 5 gallon bucket of rusted stuff. It cost $2.52 including tax. It isn't a great plane, but it can do fine work. The wooden rabbet is deeply worn along both edges. It still works well and does get used when a big rabbet is being worked.

The knife isn't a beauty. It is my second attempt at a marking knife. This one is from an old plane blade and works well.

The chisels are all finds over the years. The top one is marked "Defiance Made in U.S.A." The sides looked like it was cut out on a bandsaw. After a lot of time lapping most of the "saw marks" are gone. Not sure if they mean anything to a collector or not, but it is a nice 1/4" chisel. The next one is 1" with just the "ENTER" readable from the original Karpenter. It has the Winstead mark on the back. It was in pretty bad shape before some TLC.

The last chisel at 1-1/2" has a mark that isn't known. It is from Sweden. Also pretty messed up, but it is getting better.

The saw is a Bishop #10. It has that "ugly duckling" look to it but does some things nicely. The handle is a bit awkward. A rasp has been applied strategically to open it up a bit for my robust hands. Mostly it has been used as a rip saw for cutting a lot of dovetails. It was set for a fixed 3/4" depth. Recently doing a batch of stopped dados made me give the crosscut teeth a try. That is why it is worthy of love. It did a lovely job.

jtk

Chris Hachet
08-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Nice pic on the rust hunt find. I would like to find a nice 5 1/4 myself one day...keep the pics coming guys. WHat has everyone else found in their rust hunt?

Jim Neeley
08-03-2013, 4:17 PM
Sweet, Jim.. :)