PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Tent Sale

Mike Leonard
05-13-2003, 6:00 AM
Greetings All,

Grizzly has a Tent Sale coming up on June 21st and I was wondering if anyone has ever been to one. I am in the market for a new TS and am seriously considering the G1023. It would be about a 6 hour trip one way for me and I am not sure if there would be any real cost savings. If they do have good deals I could definitly be talked into purchasing one or two other items which may actually make the trip worthwhile. So, has anyone been to a Grizzly Tent sale and what are the deals like?

TIA
Mike

Chris McKimson
05-13-2003, 1:55 PM
Mike,

I went the Grizzly tent sale in Bellingham last year. Pretty good deals if you get lucky. The G1023's they had went for about 500.00 IIRC. I went looking for a combo sander. They only had one and someone beat me to it.

The one at Bellingham last year was a madhouse. The lines I believe started forming about 5am and when I got there at 7am (1 hour early) there were probably 100 people in front of me. At 8 am, they let everyone in and were probably at least 300 hundred lined up. It probably only took 2-3 minutes for me to get in and alot of machines had already been spoken for. (They attached a multi-part slip of paper to the machines and if you want to buy it, you remove the top copy. If the top copy is gone, you can't buy the machine).

Bottom line is that all the G1023's were probably sold within 5 minutes. If you plan on going, get there real early. Try and identify where the machine is located that you are after. Go for 1 machine, be quick.

I didn't mind missing out on the sander. It was being sold "as is" for 275.00 and had seen a small amount of use. And although I probably would have bought it had I been the first one to grab the slip of paper, the way I figure, it was a used machine at a used price without warranty. I probably could have done equally well in the classified ads. (I ended up with a new Jet edge sander instead :D )

HTH

Chris

Diane Maluso
05-13-2003, 1:59 PM
Hi. I went to a Grizzly tent sale a few years ago in PA. Based on that experience, I'd never count on picking up a big piece of machinery at the tent sale.. they'll be gone very very quickly and those that aren't will have flaws that make them less than good deals. I ended up buying a couple of pieces of equipment off the showroom floor at regular prices. The main problem was the huge (REALLY HUGE) lines to get to the loading dock... it took well over an hour. All in all, I'd avoid the tent sale if I was a serious buyer of big iron.

Diane