PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 725 planer - feed motor issues

adam smith
08-01-2013, 5:38 PM
I borrowed an older Woodmaster 725 model from a friend for a few months and after seeing the performance and durability of this 15 year old, well used machine.. it was an easy choice when the time came to buy one of my own.
I found a used model across the border and picked it up for a great price, super meticulous guy who took great care of his shop and tools. The machine (2009) looked like it had a thousand lin ft through it when I bought it.

No issues for the first few months, but recently when doing a production job (cedar 1x8 bevel siding), I blew a fuse in the variable speed control box after about an hour of work. No big deal... pop another 8a slow-blow fuse in and start again tomorrow.
After planing for an hour or so, I could smell some unmistakeable electrical burning smell. Shut it down right away and took a look. The smell was definitely coming from the feed motor, i could barely touch it with a bare hand.
A slight leak was noticed at the gear box/motor interface. No pooling of fluid or dripping... more of a weep. (see photo)

Let me clarify.... the cutting depth was maybe 1/32", not pushing the machine anywhere near too hard. Also the feed roller tension was set to manufacturers specs. my base jig was waxed.... no unusual friction.

When I removed the motor, I also noticed that there was some 'mashing' of the aluminum bushing where the drive shaft exits the gear box. Most likely the drive wheel had inched too close to the gear box housing and ground up the aluminum bushing a bit. (see photo)

I cleaned up the aluminum, checked inside the gear box (everything greased and looking good) and checked the brushes (about 3/4" left).
Feed rollers are lubed.... they turn nicely by hand

I re installed the motor to do some load testing.

The motor is 110v and 4.5a rated

No load at all: .5a :)

running belts and feed rollers: 1.5a :)

running material through planer (1/32" depth): 6-7a :eek:

Seems like a motor running at more than it's rated load for any extended period of time is waiting to fry up.
This is supposed to be rated for production work.... it's an American Steel beast!

I'm wondering is anyone else out there has had any issues with their feed motor.
Trying to avoid the $500 for a new motor after shipping.
Makes no sense to ship this motor from Canada to Kansas City.... then have work done.... then ship it back. I'm most of the way to a new motor at that point.

Love to hear from anyone with similar experience or the gurus out there!

BTW, the guys at Woodmaster live up to their service reputation.... had lots of help from them so far and you do get to talk to the tech's that build these machines directly if you have an issue.

Thanks

Jim Andrew
08-01-2013, 9:11 PM
If you have an electrical motor and tool service business locally, you could get a price on having it rebuilt. I had a 718 for a few years and had no problems. My guess is the best way out of your trouble is to buy a new motor. That is the down side of buying used. Sometimes you have to repair your machine.

Bob Wingard
08-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Maybe these guys can help ... ... ...

Klauber Machine & Gear (KMG)
1101 Geartech Parkway
Pacific, MO 63069

Phone: (636) 257-3002
Fax: (636) 257-3005

It is very possibly just a worn bushing/bearing causing misalignment & excessive loading ...

adam smith
08-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I did talk to Klauber... they said the motors were made specially for Woodmaster and I'd have to deal with them.
The issue with having an electric motor shop go through the motor is that by the time someone has spent an hour or two, I'm most of the way to a new motor! They are not cheap!

I talked with Woodmaster and we may have found the issue.... seems a resistor in the motor control box was the wrong resistor for that motor, probably one from a 718 or different motor.
they are sending a new one.... i will then load test and see what's up.

Assuming the loads are inline with what they should be with that motor, I suppose I'll be looking for a replacement motor.

Other than putting the wrong resistor in at the factory, Woodmaster has been great to deal with. What a nice change of attitude when "shit happens"

Joe Meirhaeghe
08-05-2013, 8:24 PM
I've had the model 718 since some where around 1989 give or take a year or two. Memory is not good enough to remember.
Any way I bought it new & it's always been taken good care of. I had the power feed motor go bad about 3 years ago.
I thought that the factory replacement was way to expensive so I looked into alternatives. I couldn't find any so I had to bitr the bullet & get a factory new one.
That said other than replacement blades it's the only thing I've had to replace on it in all these years.
I still have it but I haven't used it but once since I replaced the motor 3 yrs ago.

James White
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
I did talk to Klauber... they said the motors were made specially for Woodmaster and I'd have to deal with them.
The issue with having an electric motor shop go through the motor is that by the time someone has spent an hour or two, I'm most of the way to a new motor! They are not cheap!

I talked with Woodmaster and we may have found the issue.... seems a resistor in the motor control box was the wrong resistor for that motor, probably one from a 718 or different motor.
they are sending a new one.... i will then load test and see what's up.

Assuming the loads are inline with what they should be with that motor, I suppose I'll be looking for a replacement motor.

Other than putting the wrong resistor in at the factory, Woodmaster has been great to deal with. What a nice change of attitude when "shit happens"

Adam,

Did this fix the problem for you. I am having the same problem with my 725. Only besides blowing fuses it trips the ground fault in my shop. What was the value on the resistor that was wrong and what was the new one?

Regards,
James