PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with co-worker apathy

Jamie Lynch
08-01-2013, 1:28 PM
I'm taking a little time during my lunch break to vent.

For all you Christian punk fans out there,
"Half of me is all about apathy and the other half just doesn't care."
-Reliant k-

There seems to be a pervasive attitude in my workgroup of "we'll I just do don't care". It's disheartening and seems to be contagious. Is there a cure or at least a vaccination?
I try and stay positive and still go the extra mile, but each time I try and do something right I get feedback like "why are you spending extra time on that? The next guy can take care of it". I'm in maintenance and my whole workgroup is maintenace. I could be that "next guy". It's in my best interest to do the job right the first time and to go above and beyond in service quality! If I can save the next tech a few minutes in troubleshooting by putting an extra label in a wire or making a bundle of hoses and wires nice and neat, then I will. Whatever happened to an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure?
You would think that employees who are paid by the hour wouldn't mind taking an extra couple minutes to do the job right. It only means more pay for them and it makes our department look good. Sure we're maintenance and management thinks we only spend money, but that perception is largely based on the fact that we don't deliver stellar service quality. If we worked as hard at working and doing the job right in the first place we could change the perception, however small, that maintenance is a necessary evil. We could be perceived as the irreplaceable asset that we actually are. Even if the perception of management didn't change, out sense of pride in our jobs would increase, I don't see a negative here.

Or we can just let the apathy take over and let our jobs continue to have more and more aspects outsourced.

I will not be apathetic.

Now get off your computer and get back to work.

Pat Barry
08-01-2013, 1:40 PM
That's a terrible work environment you have there. Frankly its embarrassing. I hope they aren't maintaining (not maintaining I mean) anything critical (ie: life saving equipment, bridges, airplanes, commercial vehicles, electrical systems, phone networks, etc etc) They need to go or you do.

Jerry Thompson
08-01-2013, 1:40 PM
I don't know what apathy means and further more I don't care.

Mel Fulks
08-01-2013, 2:37 PM
Jamie,unfortunately their are those who see the workplace as a 'majority rules' environment and will view anyone conscientious as a trouble making maverick. When I've seen that something wasn't going to work and spoken up about it some have come close to accusing me of sabotage when I was proven right. Once in a shop where all the screws ,nails ,etc. had been turned into a jumble by careless handling I sorted everything and labeled it on my time.Boy, did that irritate everyone! Including the owner! Several times he approached me holding one of the marked containers saying something like "are you sure these are number 6 screws ? they don't look like to me?"No thanks was ever offered. You will make a good manager and your child has good parents . Hang in there and carefully document your work.

ray hampton
08-01-2013, 2:50 PM
I don't know what apathy means and further more I don't care.

I not sure about the meaning of apathy either but if you fall down on a fire ant nest then

ray hampton
08-01-2013, 2:56 PM
Jamie, keep doing what you are doing because I think that the CHRISTIAN workers got the correct idea

glenn bradley
08-01-2013, 3:03 PM
Question: Is the problem ignorance or apathy?
Answer: I don't know and I don't care.

Coworker apathy is a real mind-bender for me. At a time when one should be thrilled to even have a job, some folks act like work owes them for just showing up. I take the conscientious road since any thinking person knows that what is good for the business is good for the people who work there. I mean to say that when business is good, the work environment is generally good as well. This is definitely not always true but, mostly true in my experience.

Stephen Cherry
08-01-2013, 3:10 PM
Jamie, here is a suggestion in musical form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKVp-atyiVA

I don't know exactly what field you are in, but when I was in the chemical-pharmaceutical field, people who did maintenance- troubleshooting- commissioning and had good ability and the desire to go the extra mile were treasured. This is particularly true in an environment where down time is huge or astronomical money. It's sometimes not a great way to make friends from lazy coworkers, but in the right place, the bosses will love you, and show their affection every other Friday.

Bruce Page
08-01-2013, 3:10 PM
I worked in a similar environment for a time. I felt the problem was a management issue and above my pay grade to try to solve. It’s not too hard to shine in that setting; I just kept my personal work ethic strong and let the chips fall where they may. A year later I was moved to a different group and promoted.

David Weaver
08-01-2013, 3:14 PM
I've been in a place like that, too. Like Bruce said, sooner or later that will go out of style and you don't want to go down with the ship. Do your good work and when management decides they are going to differentiate, you'll be in good position.

In terms of that kind of attitude in general, the only way you'll ever get rid of it is to pay people incentive compensation based on some measurable items. There is no perfect solution, though, as if the incentive comp is designed improperly, you'll have a few dishonest folks who figure out how to exploit it without doing good work.

Kevin Bourque
08-01-2013, 5:08 PM
I didn't bother reading your post completely and have already forgotten what this thread is about.:D

ray hampton
08-01-2013, 5:15 PM
I didn't bother reading your post completely and have already forgotten what this thread is about.:D

THERE may be some doctors and police that fit this catalog but I believe that most police and doctors are honest and without mistakes on their record

Rick Potter
08-01-2013, 5:53 PM
Part of the problem is that some young folks have been raised to think that just showing up deserves a gold star, like they got at school. Some have been told constantly that they are 'special', rather than being told if they work hard they can become special. They grow up, go into the work force, and have to readjust to the real world.

Parents and schools have done them no favors, with this treatment. It's sad. I tip my hat to those parents who teach their children responsibility. They will do well.

Rick Potter

Lee Schierer
08-01-2013, 6:18 PM
Those same apathetic workers will wonder why their jobs went overseas. Keep doing quality work and let the pink slips fall where they are deserved. If this is a union shop and layoffs are based on seniority, then start looking for a new job because this one won't last long.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-01-2013, 6:28 PM
The fact is, this happens in every line of work you can think of and it has no bearing on what age, race, religion or political category you fit into.

Next time you go to a banquet or out to dinner, watch all the servers. They are typically paid the same wage, but you will have some who walk fast, have a pleasant attitude and pick up a stack of plates in an efficient manner while there will no doubt be at least one waitstaff there who is slacking off and carries 1 plate from table to table in an effort to "look busy" while dragging their feet the whole time. We all notice the same thing in the grocery check-out line and avoid a certain checker.

Keep to your standard level of good work. Unless you are management you have no say as to how others are working (or not working) at your place of work unless you are asked for input. Try to lead by example. There WILL be someone at work that you can teach. Even if it is only 1 person, feel good in the fact that you taught them some good, ethical work values & skills.

Jamie Lynch
08-02-2013, 9:15 AM
I love that I have a place I can go to vent and receive useful advise without a bunch of garbage that plagues much of the internet.
Thanks to all of you!

Scott Shepherd
08-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Part of the problem is that some young folks have been raised to think that just showing up deserves a gold star, like they got at school. Some have been told constantly that they are 'special', rather than being told if they work hard they can become special. They grow up, go into the work force, and have to readjust to the real world.

Parents and schools have done them no favors, with this treatment. It's sad. I tip my hat to those parents who teach their children responsibility. They will do well.

Rick Potter

+1

We called a local high school a year or so ago, looking for some part time help from their tech program students. The person that answered the phone at the school intercepted us from getting to their tech teacher and said she had a son looking for a job, and his friend was looking for a job. They both showed up, with their Mom's for an interview.

I asked the one kid if he could work Monday-Friday after school, or a couple days a week after school and his reply was "Well, I have school on those days, so no, I can't work those days".

I said "How about Saturday?".

He said "Ummmm, I can't work Saturday's".

I said "Sunday?".

He said "I go to church on Sunday".

So let me see if I understand this right.....you came here to interview for a job, you can't work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

Not sure what day he planned on working, but it showed me some great insight into his work ethic and drive.

The other kid would work any day, but he couldn't drive and had no way to get to work.

David Weaver
08-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Sounds like kid #1 had a mom who wanted him to get a job and he didn't really want to.

Patrick McCarthy
08-02-2013, 1:09 PM
Jamie, you are wise beyond your years, and a product of good/responsible upbringing. Craftsmanship and pride in doing things right should still be the norm rather than the exception, but it doesn't seem like it is. Old sayings like "virtue is its own reward" are dismissed as quaint and old fashioned, out-of-step with reality. I grew up in a house where my dad said, repeatedly, "If you see something that needs doing, do it." and "If you are going to do something, do it right." Those still rattle around my head, guide my basic thinking, and echo in the ears of my 5 kids . . . . 3 of whom actually listened and adopted the creed. Jamie, at work you have to continue to work to your standards and not give in to the slackards. A buddy of mine went to work for the county here a few years ago and got the same experience/feedback/static you mention. Amazing and frustrating at the same time. He got promoted. I am concerned the next generation knows all about their "rights" but missed the lectures on their "responsibilities". Do it once, do it right. Sleep well at night.

John Pratt
08-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Apathy can be contagious, but so can attention to detail and wanting to do things right. Keep doing things right and others will see it, and eventually begin to copy it.
I can’t tell you how many times I have heard, “That’s good enough for Government work”. My response to these people is that once something leaves the shop it has my name on it. My name and what it represents means something to me and when people ask who built that, worked on that, etc, I want them to know that my name stands for quality and integrity in the product.
Grandpa used to always say, “A man is born and dies with two things; his name and his word. If the second one is no good, neither is the first”. I think that can be logically taken out to work ethic and how much effort we put into our chosen professions.