PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise reflections

Marc Himes
08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I have not posted anything for quite a while but after 34 years in medicine I retired yesterday and hopefully will have more to share in the future.

My son in law recently took this absolutely fabulous picture of a sunrise at our home and gave his permission for me to share it. It inspired me to attempt an interpretation of a sunrise on this 16 inch Birch Crotch platter/wall hanging. The photo takes the prize as God is a much better artist than a human can ever be, but your thoughts are welcome. It was dyed using alcohol based Aniline dyes and finished with wipe on poly. I couldn't get brilliant blues and reds so I am still inspired to keep on trying.

Marc Himes MD now to be Marc Himes WT

Roger Chandler
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
That is a beautiful piece, Marc! Congratulations on your retirement.........

John Keeton
08-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Marc, congrats on retirement! Now, you can take lessons from Steve on doing honey do projects and household chores!!

Very nice work on the platter. When I try for a true blue, I have to use a very white piece of maple, which is hard to find. One could bleach the birch, and that would work, as well. The amber hues in most wood have a tendency to give a green tint when blue dye is applied and tend to dull the red with a brown hue.

In any event, the piece mimics very well the photo.

charlie knighton
08-01-2013, 2:35 PM
very nice......enjoy your retirement

Jim Underwood
08-01-2013, 2:45 PM
That looks great! It's a reasonable representation of the sunrise too.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2013, 4:16 PM
Welcome to retirement Marc!

Very nice platter. I would bet it created an interesting sound as you turned it!

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2013, 5:17 PM
Beautiful work Marc! Congrats on your retirement! Any chance this piece will be at the party on Sunday? If so, I look forward to seeing it in person!

Jim Underwood
08-01-2013, 6:34 PM
How did you apply the dye?

Brian Kent
08-01-2013, 7:43 PM
Isn't it wonderful when just the right piece of wood comes along for an interpretation like you have done!

Marc Himes
08-01-2013, 8:42 PM
Thanks for all the comments and good wishes. Jim, I apply the Dye in layers with a paper towel usually sanding it back between layers of color to get close to the desired effect. Brian, yeah, I had the wood and was waiting for the right time to use it. The feathery crotch figure was right in the middle so it lent itself to a mirror image. Steve, thanks for your comments and it will be there with a few others. John, you are very right about the effect wood has on colors. Very light woods like Box Elder work well for me if I want blue. Using a yellowish finish will also effect the final outcome. Thanks again everyone.