PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic keyrings engraved on both sides advice

Balsanu Gabi
08-01-2013, 4:59 AM
Hi to all,

What I try to achieve:
- make a key rings engraved on both sides.
What I've done:
- 3mm coloured acrylic painted both sides (automotive spray paint and primer);
- engrave and cut.
Doing this way the paint is coming off.
Advice from you more experienced guys and gals:
- what paint should I use?
- there is a material (laminate) gloss on both sides;
- any other suggestions (I try it with HIPS) not very happy.
On a side note - there is anyone which try to make his own laminate like Rowmak or Traffolite with good results

Thank you
Gabi

Dan Hintz
08-01-2013, 5:39 AM
Are you using a plastic-specific paint? Unless the auto paint is designed for plastic (bumpers are one common area of adhesion difficulty), you may be shooting into the wind.

Balsanu Gabi
08-01-2013, 5:44 AM
Hi Dan,

The paint is for plastic auto parts. Any advice on how to use that? Maybe there is a little step which I didn't took it.

Thank you
Gabi

Dan Hintz
08-01-2013, 5:57 AM
There is definitely proper prep of the part involved... you have to clean the part well or else the paint may have trouble keying into the plastic. Does the entire sheet of paint peel off, or just spots?

Balsanu Gabi
08-01-2013, 6:23 AM
I've done it this way:
- clean with some alcohol:
- primer - let it dry;
- paint 2 coats - let dry between coats;
- laser - engrave and cut;
- apply a coat of clear varnish - same manufacturer.
The paint come off in some spots not on entire thing.
I took the right steps?

Thank you
Gabi

Dennis Watson
08-01-2013, 7:10 AM
You probably need to do more than just cleaning it with alcohol. Probably needs to sanded or at least roughed up with a fiber disk or what I call bear hair.
The paint needs to get a bite into the acrylic.

Tim Fulford
08-01-2013, 7:15 AM
Ok been using acrylic for years both for hobby and for commercial use.......... paint rarely if ever sticks and it certainly won't on items like key rings which are going to get a real hammering. I dont know what to suggest. Sorry

Joe Pelonio
08-01-2013, 7:52 AM
I have had great results with Krylon for Plastic, however never used it for something handled a lot, tossed into pockets like key rings. For automotive paint you might try clearcoating it after engraving. Most modern automotive paint is two stage and requires clearcoat.

Joe Hillmann
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
I do quite a bit of work with clear acrylic. I pant the back of it one color, engrave through the paint and then paint the back a second color. I use regular rustolium spray paint, with no prep or primer. The only precaution I take is once I peel off the protective plastic I don't touch the acrylic and I pant it as soon as I can to make sure no dust or finger prints get on it.

Once the paint is fully cured after a couple days I can not scratch it off with my fingernail but I don't know how long it would hold up as a key chain. If you wanted double sided items you could glue two of them together back to back but even then I don't know how well the clear acrylic will stand up to bouncing around in a pocket or purse up against keys.

Balsanu Gabi
08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
You probably need to do more than just cleaning it with alcohol. Probably needs to sanded or at least roughed up with a fiber disk or what I call bear hair.
The paint needs to get a bite into the acrylic.

I was thinking the primer will do that (eat some acrylic to let the paint to adhere). i will try what you say.

Thank you
Gabi

Balsanu Gabi
08-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Ok. I get the ideea... Any other way to make this items...

Rodne Gold
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I would use 1.5mm thick Rowmark material in the finish and colour you like and cut and engrave front and the same for the back and glue them together.
You could also do the same , except use formica (counter top material , comes in a zillion colours and finishes and is real cheap) and glue front and back together or if you needed a bit of thickness , use a simple 1.5mm abs piece in between.
The formica is incredibly durable and easy to colour fill if you need to.

Balsanu Gabi
08-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi Rodne,

Formica is laserable?
What kind of adehesive will bond 2 pieces?

Thank you
Gabi

Rodne Gold
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Any contact adhesive will work. The guys that sell the formica should have it in stock too.

Dan Hintz
08-01-2013, 6:52 PM
To add to the other comments about doing it a different way...

Automotive paints often do not want you to let them completely dry before adding a second coat... follow the directions carefully. You may end up waiting for the first coat to tack up only before spraying the second coat.