PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Building Bonanza

Mike Allen1010
07-31-2013, 9:44 PM
I am building a small "Spice chest" that has 11 small drawers.

I just finished Cutting all the drawer parts and completing the marking out for the dovetails. Here's a picture of all the components in their respective places.

Thank goodness for the Cabinetmakers triangle or I would have zero chance of keeping all these parts straight -- as is I put the over/under on the number of drawers with a piece cut/installed upside down and/or backwards at 2.

I used to custom fit all the drawer components specifically to their individual pocket. Now I fit the drawer front to the opening but cut all the rest of the components square/uniform and rely on little tuning with a hand plane to get a precise fit-- we'll see how that plan works out here.

Here's a picture of the line and berry inlay on the door that covers the drawer fronts. I used the Veritas inlay tools. Just got a letter from them today saying that they "recently modified the design of the compass center to make it more ergonomic, which is a result reduce the risk of marring your work. The original compass Center will still work as intended, if you would prefer to have the new version, we would be pleased to add one at no charge with your next order".

You have to love that kind of Customer service! Rob- you rock!

All the best, Mike

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Looking good so far! I think I did ten or twelve drawers for my tool cabinet - I think that's my max. Working on those, I did learn an important lesson, the hard way, about making sure your drawer stock is milled properly just prior to joinery. With a wide, shallow drawer, a little twist in the drawer front makes for an interesting challenge in fitting the finished drawers. (S'what I get for not letting things acclimate with stock I should have known was a little high in MC)

Really looking forward to seeing this when it's done.

Agree on the customer service from LV - I got a similar email in regards to some issues they had with the first run of saw file guides.

I know in your last post about this project, I made what may have been interpreted as a disparaging comment about your choice of color in the inlay on the front - that was purely a personal choice ( i.e., I might have done something different) but I just want to say, I really like the job you've done there with that front door, and I hope I didn't come off as pooh-pooh-ing it in the last thread. This is certainly better than anything I could do in the furniture world.

Did you do the arched frame-and-panel by hand? What was your method for routing the panel groove? Did you plow a deep groove before making the arch, or make the groove after the arch with a chisel?

All in all, I'm really liking this. keep us posted!

Mike Allen1010
08-05-2013, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Joshua Pierce;2138631]
I know in your last post about this project, I made what may have been interpreted as a disparaging comment about your choice of color in the inlay on the front - that was purely a personal choice ( i.e., I might have done something different) but I just want to say, I really like the job you've done there with that front door, and I hope I didn't come off as pooh-pooh-ing it in the last thread.

Josh, you are way too kind! I was never offended in even the smallest way by your comment. One of the things I appreciate the most about SMC is the feedback and suggestions from talented craftsmen like you. There are a few woodworking skills I'm okay at, but many more that I stink at. One of the biggest reasons I enjoy posting on SMC is exactly to get the feedback and suggestions like yours. -- please keep it coming.

All the best, Mike