PDA

View Full Version : Pierced Disc

Scott Hackler
07-31-2013, 7:11 PM
This is what I "came up with" for my end of a turning swap with Chuck Jones over at Woodturners Unlimited. The theme was to be a platter or wall hanging. This has a little of both with a giant touch of wierd and unusual!!

Made was a traditional platter, I turned it to about 1/8" thick, except for a base and let it dry and warp/oval. Then I spent a few hours piercing it.

It ended up as 9" x 9 1/2" and is made from Mulberry. Tung oil finish.

Comments and complaints are always encouraged! Thanks!

Dennis Ford
07-31-2013, 7:28 PM
It is very creative and the workmanship is great, nice work!

Tom Wilson66
07-31-2013, 10:25 PM
My first thought on seeing this platter was that if anyone dropped it, they would have a heck of a time glueing it back together. Wierd, huh?

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Pretty cool work Scott! Chuck is going to love it!

Eric Holmquist
08-01-2013, 5:12 AM
Very nice, I've never made any sort of wall decoration, stuff like this inspires me to try it some day.

Jim Underwood
08-01-2013, 9:37 AM
I'll ask you what someone asked me about my wall hanging the other night; what are you going to do with it?
There. Now you have arrived as an artist! You're welcome! ;-)

Interesting piece and its obvious you put a lot of time into it.

charlie knighton
08-01-2013, 9:58 AM
very nice, time well spent, enjoy

Marc Himes
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I like your work, Scott. People often have more room on their walls than they do on their tables. Very nice piercing. Is the entire pattern pierced completely through or just the larger voids?

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
That is cool Scott. He is going to like that.

Scott Hackler
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Chuck received it, it didn't get destroyed in shipping and he says he likes it! Whew!! I know it is weird and unusual and it is likely a one off. As I got it completed, I really didnt care for it, but it was too late with the terms of the swap to start over. Plus I am never 100% satisfied with my pieces..so......

It is pierced all the way through on the small holes as well. The solid ring in the center would have gotten pierced as well but I left a "foot" on the bottom of the piece like a tradidional platter and it is about 1/4" thick at that point. The photos don't show it, but this piece was pierced from the back side and that it also the display side. I wanted the wall hanging to protrude from the center and not look like a bowl attached to the wall.

Jim, like a lot of my pieces... they are useless from a utilitarian point of view! Except for straining the liquid off of your food!

Mel Fulks
08-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Beautiful, Scott. I think I can identify it for you. It's part of a solid gold Etruscan ceremonial vessel !

Sid Matheny
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
A true beauty Scott! Lots of work in that one.

Sid