PDA

View Full Version : Got Pear?

Richard Jones
07-31-2013, 3:38 PM
Got some Bradford pear yesterday, decent size. About 16"-20". You can see the peavey I used to roll it into my trailer. That was not fun...........hopefully the nice, long curlies will more than make up for that. Now to see if my hand is up to the task............

If anyone is close by, I'll be glad to share some.

charlie knighton
07-31-2013, 6:27 PM
Richard, i really like bradford pear, its much like cherry, but not as dark, it seems to stay a light brown with oil, looks almost like the slickrock out west, that was a really big tree for bradford pear, was it down in a hollow?

where is rice va, or what is it close to?

Toby Bouder
07-31-2013, 7:29 PM
Nice haul. I've never turned any bradford pear, but I hear it is nice. Hope your hand is on the mend and you can get back to enjoying turning again.

charlie knighton
07-31-2013, 8:02 PM
Richard, i seemed to remember talking to you, looked in my emails and there it was, second time i asked you where? i still have the appoxiate location, if you are free next week maybe tuesday or wednesday, i could drop by if you pmed me an address that gps reconizes. always wanted to see your boxes up close

Dan Hintz
07-31-2013, 8:34 PM
Grabbed a load of it after Stephen Cherry was taking out a tree in his backyard... love the stuff.

Richard Jones
07-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Charlie,

These were lining a sidewalk at a local school and the roots were causing the concrete to heave.

Rice is just outside of Farmville...................I'll PM you the addy........

Thanks, Toby, I still owe you, haven't forgot, just scared to get back up on the horse........

R

Thomas Canfield
08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Nice haul. You have some really nice wood there. My truck always stops for Bradford Pear. I was lucky about 3 years back and got a lot that I rough turned and still have some to return. The 10% rule seems to work, but it does move from green to dry. I did several big bowls with just oil finish for general use and they turned out good.

charlie knighton
08-06-2013, 5:11 PM
thanks Richard

met with Richard today, i received one 5 foot log of bradford pear, boy was it beautiful
Richard gave me the tour, great host but a little shy from his turnings i knew he knows what he is doing, and his setup is super

thanks again Richard, i owe you