PDA

View Full Version : HVLP replacement cup and gun

Prashun Patel
07-31-2013, 1:01 PM
I have a Woodcraft/Rockler/HF style hvlp that has served me well. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement gun? My motor works fine, but the gun is starting to fail.

Curt Harms
08-01-2013, 7:19 AM
Are the units still available? If so, can you just order a replacement gun? Earlex guns I believe use a somewhat similar hose attachment but I have no idea if they're interchangeable. I have an Earlex 5000 and can measure the gun's hose port if you'd like. A replacement gun for my setup is I think around $100 and I don't know if that includes tips so my gun may not make sense.

Prashun Patel
08-01-2013, 8:57 AM
Thanks, Curt. Maybe I should just order the Earlex whole unit. Do you like it? I think 5000 has been replaced with 5500?

Curt Harms
08-02-2013, 8:05 AM
Thanks, Curt. Maybe I should just order the Earlex whole unit. Do you like it? I think 5000 has been replaced with 5500?

It has. Yes, I've been happy with the Earlex 5000. I believe the 5500 has more CFM, I don't know what else has changed. I've sprayed thinned 'latex' (actually acrylic enamel) with quite good results. The cup is pressurized by tapping the air going into the gun so it feed thicker material than I expected. Paint doesn't look great off the gun but within couple minutes it flows out and looks pretty decent. And because the coat is pretty thin, it's dry to the touch in a few minutes. I've sprayed shellac on raw wood as a primer and it works well although I really should get a 1.0 mm needle set for thin materials like 1.5# cut shellac. Earlex also makes a 1900 & a 3500 which looks more like the Rockler/Harbor Freight unit but I know nothing about them.