PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Bandsaw Questions

Curtis Horswill
07-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this Laguna bandsaw?

The seller has it in storage as it was his fathers and he doesn't know much about it. Does that look the Driftmaster fence? I am going to look at this tomorrow and he has agreed to a much lower price that what it was listed for on Ebay. How much do you think it is worth? How would this saw compare to a Rikon 10-325? Thanks in advance.

Brian Kincaid
07-31-2013, 1:29 PM
Curtis,
The saw in the picture does have the driftmaster fence. Laguna now offers an 8" extrusion that you could add to the fence as well. I don't know about comparisons but it looks like a pretty nice saw, comparably better than any delta-clone 14" with riser block.

-Brian

David Kumm
07-31-2013, 1:45 PM
If it works fine, buy it and don't get too cheap about it. If you have a better deal than what is listed you are more than fine. Dave

Aleks Hunter
07-31-2013, 4:10 PM
Yes that is a driftmaster, offer a decent price, its a great saw, looks like a baldor motor on it, and a best there is fence on it. NEw the saw and fence would be well over 2k.

Gus Dundon
07-31-2013, 4:11 PM
I can't speak for Laguna saws because I don't have one. But I am having real qualms with Laguna saws based on the reviews I've read. Run the saw in person and update us with how it goes. Hope it will not be too pricey.

Tony Shea
07-31-2013, 4:51 PM
I have no first hand experience with Laguna saws but if he is giving you a decent deal then I would absolutely buy the saw. As for comparing it to a Rikon 10-325... there is no comparison. The Rikon really isn't in the same league as that saw IMO. Rikons may be decent saws for the money but Laguna saws are where it's at. But this is personal opinion and based on reviews from a couple good friends with Laguna saws. I still have yet to see them in action as I currently run a wonderful Grizzly G0513x2b (which has been awesome for my needs). Again, don't hesitate on owning a Laguna and paying a little extra for it.

Having said all that, be sure to see the saw run and potentially cut some wood. But depending on the blade and setup, you may or may not be happy with how it cuts wood right off the bat.

harold bowlin
07-31-2013, 6:18 PM
laguna doesn't sell that particular saw anymore, or at least it isn't listed for sale on their website. However, if I remember correctly the 14L was made in Italy and is an excellent saw. currently the least expensive 14 inch bandsaw they have listed is the LT14 3000 for $1400. The Driftmaster fence sells for $395 and is worth it. I have the 14 SUV and it is the best saw I have ever used. The saw in your post looks just about brand new. If it runs and cuts and you can get a deal on it BUY it. Comparing this saw to a Rikon or any other similar saw is like comparing a Ferrari to a Nissan 350Z. Both are sports cars but seriously......

Sam Murdoch
07-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Most hesitation that I have heard or read regarding Laguna is about the pitiful customer service from past years. I believe those issues are now in the past. They make a great bandsaw and my experience with customer service has been great. I can't speak to the older machine but I agree with Harold Brown about the 14"SUV and if he is correct - that the nearly new "looking" saw that you are considering was an Italian made saw - I can't see how you can go wrong.

Joe Adams
08-01-2013, 8:02 AM
I recently bought a ten year old Laguna 16 and their tech support has been great in helping me get what I need to refurbish it.

Jim Stewart
08-01-2013, 8:43 AM
I have a Laguna 16HD and I cannot see how the saw could be better. I have not had issues with the saw so I don't know about customer service. I resaw with the standard fence and it is just unbelievable good.

Curtis Horswill
08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I picked up the saw today. It was purchased in 2009 and is like new. I think it is an Italian built saw. Came with the Drift master fence, mobility kit, and 2- 1 inch Resaw King blades. I think it was a great deal, got it for $550.

Joe Adams
08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
...got it for $550.

Somebody call the cops because you stole it. Congratulations on finding a great deal!

Mike Heidrick
08-02-2013, 1:09 AM
You barely bought the fence LOL.

Bill ThompsonNM
08-02-2013, 4:58 AM
And you certainly deserve this: You Suck!

Enjoy your new saw!

Gus Dundon
08-02-2013, 4:14 PM
Congratulations on your new saw! Get good blades! Enjoy.

harold bowlin
08-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Essentially you paid for one blade and the fence. The saw and everything else was free. I never find deals like that but at least I'm glad to know they are still out there.

Gary Thatcher
08-16-2013, 6:06 PM
In my experience, Laguna has wonderful customer service, as opposed to a lot of what I read on this site. My Laguna is wonderful. Never a hiccup, except for the dinged door which I found on delivery. They replaced it immediately and I love the saw.