PDA

View Full Version : can any of you do negative relief engraving? or have you already?

Jonathan Brown
07-31-2013, 11:47 AM
I would love to see some examples. I am guessing it would take a galvo based system and a precise rapid z-axis. Or maybe just a xyz system with fast movement could do it.

edit: Oops, I meant negative relief engraving

Rodne Gold
07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Like doing rubber stamps or bas relief? I have done a lot of it for masters for moulding , but there is an issue and that is the surface you hog out and remove is not smooth.

Jonathan Brown
07-31-2013, 12:06 PM
No....I am not using the right term. It is a process where you have the image concave into the work and it is designed such that it appears to follow you as you move. Let me see if I can find out what it is really called and if there are examples.

Jonathan Brown
07-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Maybe this is an example:

Jonathan Brown
07-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Here is maybe a better example, though poor filming. Is it called inverted face engraving?

I am going to guess it has not been done on a laser before...perhaps you would have to cnc the concave features first then engrave the detail. Could be a nice thing to try.

matthew knott
07-31-2013, 2:56 PM
Just bog standard 3D engraving, its pretty much the exact reverse of the 3D priniting, a STEP file is created that splits the desired shade into very thin layers, you would need a z axis that is programmable and software that can handle 3D files but that's all

Have a read of this http://www.fobalaser.com/applications/processes/laser-engraving/?gclid=COHbmbC02rgCFXLItAoda1EAgw#c323