PDA

View Full Version : Concrete glue?

Rick Potter
07-31-2013, 4:18 AM
My daughter has a rabbit lawn ornament that is about double life size. The tree trimmers just broke an ear off it. Is there any type of glue or adhesive that will work on concrete? I also have a couple paving stones that have come loose from the concrete base that need to be glued back down.

Thank you,
Rick Potter

Richard McComas
07-31-2013, 5:34 AM
Believe in or not. I was charged with attaching a glass front plaque on a big rock out of doors. They wanted no visible fasteners. I used 100% GE rubber silicone. That was 5 years ago and it's still there.

Curt Harms
07-31-2013, 8:44 AM
Believe in or not. I was charged with attaching a glass front plaque on a big rock out of doors. They wanted no visible fasteners. I used 100% GE rubber silicone. That was 5 years ago and it's still there.

There ya go. Or something that works with tile?

Phil Thien
07-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Before painting a concrete floor with epoxy, they will often use a thicker epoxy filler to fill any holes or irregularities. So I assume epoxy would also work.

Fred Belknap
07-31-2013, 11:33 AM
A two part epoxy will work. When I worked I did concrete work and that is what we used. You might check with a concrete supplier to get what you need.

Prashun Patel
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Why not a little thinset mortar?

Lee Schierer
07-31-2013, 2:23 PM
Why not a little thinset mortar?

I think you would have to apply some sort of primer to the concrete to get any adhesion at all. Even so, I'm not sure how strong the bond will be.

Jim Laumann
07-31-2013, 2:24 PM
THere is a type of adhesive sold for use with the caps (tops) of retaining wall blocks - comes in caulking style tubes.

You might also consider JB Weld. Used it to cement a bird bath base back together.

Jim

David C. Roseman
08-01-2013, 9:05 AM
THere is a type of adhesive sold for use with the caps (tops) of retaining wall blocks - comes in caulking style tubes.

You might also consider JB Weld. Used it to cement a bird bath base back together.

Jim

Hard to beat JB Weld for strength, since it is epoxy reinforced with steel. But I've always used it for interior applications, as I've wondered whether some of the steel particles at the surface might eventually rust and "bleed" if not top-coated. Jim, I gather this hasn't occurred with the bird bath?

David

Stephen Cherry
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
My vote would be for either epoxy, or 3m 5200. 5200 has the advantage of staying somewhat soft.

Rick Potter
08-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Great answers guys, and I appreciate them all. Unfortunately, my daughter didn't know about my 'research', and told me last night she already glued it together using a waterproof craft glue, that is used to put mosaics on concrete. Hopefully that will do the job.

The rabbit is mosaic covered, and she bought it at a charity auction.

Thanks again,
Rick Potter

Robert Delhommer Sr
08-01-2013, 3:26 PM
I used JB Weld to repair something like that for the wife, and still holding about 15 years later. :)

Jim Laumann
08-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Hard to beat JB Weld for strength, since it is epoxy reinforced with steel. But I've always used it for interior applications, as I've wondered whether some of the steel particles at the surface might eventually rust and "bleed" if not top-coated. Jim, I gather this hasn't occurred with the bird bath?

David

David

I had no idea that there were steel particals in the JB. No to your question - bird bath base has been outside now for 2-3 years since I fixed it.

Jim