PDA

View Full Version : Chicago...just wonderful!

Mark Singer
05-25-2005, 11:45 AM
I just returned from 4 days in Chicago and I must say it is one of Americas most wonderful cities. I took the river architectural tour and visited the Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Oak Park as well as the Robie House. The Bisiness School by Vinoly is a great building as well. I was overwelmed by the collection at The Chicago Institute of Art....amaazing art! We tasted some of Chicago's finest resturants...Charlie Trotters, Spillagio, Gibsons, and some of the dives serving great Italian Beef sandwiches.
I was there for the NRA ....National Restaurant Show...
Our Executive Chef , Marc Cohen won the Silver Plate Award from IFMA...for "independent Restaurants" ...we are very proud of him and our 11 year partnership is moving forward very nicely....now with 5 Restaurants and looking at more sites...

I stopped by Thomas Moser cabinetmakers on State street and saw some nice furniture. The manager told me they are using a CNC machine to make the curved chair seats and irregular parts and yes the dovetails are machine made...still good quality and good prices.

Chicago is a beautiful and artistic place and I will be going back to visit...it has been 20 years since I was there and it has changed...in a great way!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-25-2005, 1:11 PM
Mark,

Chicago is a great place to visit! I do like it down there. I wouldn't want to live there, but it is fun to go visit. I am lucky enough to be able to visit many Frank Lloyd Wright buildings 10 minutes from my house. I drive by them every day :)

Jim Becker
05-25-2005, 5:03 PM
So that's where you were hiding!!! 'Glad you had a nice trip...an architecture wonderland. Dr. SWMBO actually lived across the street from one of the FLW homes when she was doing her undergraduate degree at the UofChicago...I don't recall which one, however. (CRS disease...)

Oh, congratulations on Marc's award!! That's wonderful.