PDA

View Full Version : storing carbide resaw bandsaw blade

James Baker SD
07-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Hi all. I am a single bandsaw shop, simply no room for a dedicated resaw machine so I am a blade changer. Getting pretty good at it EXCEPT for when I take my carbide Resaw King off the saw. It came with a plastic sleeve over the teeth and I always put it back on. At least triples the time to change blades compared to other changes. Maybe more than triples.

So the question is, do you other owners of a good carbide blade bother with replacing the plastic protector over the teeth before you loop the blade and store it away? Am I being ridiculous replacing this every time if it was only needed for protection during shipping? Or is there danger of breaking a tooth as I twist the blade to coil it up? Thanks.

James

Curtis Myers
07-30-2013, 11:13 PM
I do not put the plastic protector back on.

Bill Geibe
07-31-2013, 1:13 AM
I don't coil my blades to store them (unless they are brand new and still coiled). I hang them on a nail up high on a wall.

I see no reason to keep putting the protector back on unless it just makes you feel better.

Bill

Stephen Cherry
07-31-2013, 4:53 AM
I store my blades coiled up, no covers, on an aluminum garden hose holder mounted on the wall behind the saw.

jim gossage
07-31-2013, 7:46 AM
I coil, no cover

John McClanahan
07-31-2013, 8:12 AM
I don't use carbide tipped blades, but if I did, I would do like Bill Geibe does. Re-coiling and uncoiling looks to me like a good opportunity to chip teeth.

John

Tom Walz
07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Yup, chipped teeth is the likely problem.

Scott T Smith
07-31-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't coil my blades to store them (unless they are brand new and still coiled). I hang them on a nail up high on a wall.

I see no reason to keep putting the protector back on unless it just makes you feel better.

Bill

+1, except I use two nails about 10" apart to spread out the point load on the bands.

Gus Dundon
07-31-2013, 4:25 PM
Coil the blade and hung on the wall. Or put them on pizza box.