PDA

View Full Version : This seems like a step towards a universal chuck...anyone seen?

Jeffrey J Smith
07-30-2013, 1:12 PM
In my digital travels today, I stumbled across this new (at least to me) chuck from the Tool Post in the UK. http://toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/VersaChuck/versachuck.html

Although it seems to be the size of the OneWay Talon or the smaller Vicmark 100, it's got a lot going for it: adapters for just about any spindle made, but best of all, interchangeable jaw slides to mount OneWay, Vicmark, Axminster, SuperNova, Multistar...just about any jaw sets you'd have or want.

Now there's a great idea - one chuck, any jaws you like to use regardless of manufacturer. I bought a set of OneWay Versa-slide jawslides that mount Vicmark jaws so I could use Vicmark jaws on my Stronghold chucks. Seemed like a great idea then, but when I went to buy another set, I found they'd been discontinued long ago. Same with the Vicmark jaws I found that were made by Vicmark to fit Stronghold chucks (that may have been a special order from Craft Supplies long since discontinued - got those at the CS garage sale on Super Wednesday a few years back). There are jaw configurations that I like working with - Vicmark shark jaws vs Oneway Tower jaws, Vicmark Raffan step jaws - but I don't like the idea of needing to keep track of different keys for every chuck/jaw setup. I do like the OneWay chucks, they perform well for me and I've got a lot invested in them.

But, is it made to the same standards or just another Asian knock-off. If anyone has handled this thing, please tell us what you've found.

Harry Robinette
07-30-2013, 8:20 PM
Jeffrey
That looks like a really good idea. If I had the money I'd buy one to give it a good check out. I really hope someone can do a check out on this. I've got all Nova chucks but to have one that I can use all the different jaws on would be handy I think.