PDA

View Full Version : The search is over - finally found it

Jon Prouty
07-30-2013, 9:57 AM
Hi All,

Been more than three years of watching and checking Craigslist (at least three times per day)... but I finally scored my final lathe. I've been close before, our club president beat me to the punch on a Vicmarc VL300, you suck Jason :) but this time I got what I was wanting. I've had a few lathes before - a Craftsman non tube lathe (that was actually pretty nice), two Jet 1014s, a new Delta 46-460 and just a couple weeks ago bought another 46-460 off CL (deal was too good to pass on).

Anyway, on to my newest score - my final lathe. A vintage PM3520B. This thing is sweet!!! Appears to be barely used... previous owner was a hobbyist who bought good stuff but didn't seem to use it much. Anyway, included were a couple steadys (Oneway bowl and Oneway Spindle), three chucks (Talon, Oneway tommy bar style, and a PSI Barracuda 4 set - only the stock jaws had been removed from the plastic bag... the others are still wrapped up). All the stock PM accessories are there as well as a curved PM rest, a Sorby Steb center and a steb center for the chuck, and the PM remote switch. I feel I got a heck of a deal even though I took a risk on sending paypal funds in advance to hold the lathe until I could pick it up a week later.

Lathe is on my trailer until I can move it into the new house in a couple months... a LONG couple months until I fire this thing up!

Three lathes in the shop are probably too many so I will put the Deltas on CL... also going to eventually sell all 7 of my chucks and go to one brand (all 7 are different and I am not interested in hunting for the right key or jaw set for each chuck). Probably going to follow Mike and switch over to HTC or something - I can now justify the big body chucks! Oh yeah... now I need a coring rig, a new hollowing base, etc. the vortex is amazingly deep.

Had to share my excitement!

Jon

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Congratulations! May it serve you well!

charlie knighton
07-30-2013, 10:09 AM
congratulations, enjoy, it looks lightly used

bob svoboda
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Whatever you do, don't think about the lathe for two months-Yeah, right!! Congratulations and welcome to the Mustard Club!

Reed Gray
07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
I must be getting old. Vintage 3520B? You will have a lot of fun with it.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
I hope you found the legs for that thing! :D Great score.......congratulations!!!

Jon Prouty
07-30-2013, 3:33 PM
I must be getting old. Vintage 3520B? You will have a lot of fun with it.

robo hippy
I call it vintage since it has the old Powermatic logo. I did not check to see if there was a manufacturing date on it anywhere.

I hope you found the legs for that thing! :D Great score.......congratulations!!!
Oh yeah, I have the legs for it. They are under a tool holder that I got as well. I had to take it apart to get it home... the bed was heavier than I expected but the rest was not too bad - including the headstock (I dead lifted that thing with no problem).

Jason Clark2
07-30-2013, 3:39 PM
It's a bit of a long story which I won't go into but I wish you had gotten the Vicmarc instead of me.

Congrats.

Fred Belknap
07-30-2013, 4:33 PM
Congratulations on a nice lathe and a bunch of accessories. I don't think I could let it sit on the trailer for two months. Is the cord in the second picture a remote stop?

Jon Prouty
07-30-2013, 4:40 PM
It's a bit of a long story which I won't go into but I wish you had gotten the Vicmarc instead of me.

Congrats.

Sorry to hear that all is not well on that one. If I hadn't picked up the PM I would have been interested in taking it of your hands. I have to say I am happy though getting the PM.

Jon Prouty
07-30-2013, 4:43 PM
Congratulations on a nice lathe and a bunch of accessories. I don't think I could let it sit on the trailer for two months. Is the cord in the second picture a remote stop?

Hi Fred - thanks and yes, it has the remote stop (magnetic box for the switch can be seen on the headstock next to the hand wheel). The cord is pretty long so I can position it anywhere.

Fred Perreault
07-30-2013, 4:47 PM
Jon, you have a lot of "stuff' there. It i$ a great gloat.... how gloaty wa$ it ? any hint will do.....

Jon Prouty
07-30-2013, 5:59 PM
Jon, you have a lot of "stuff' there. It i$ a great gloat.... how gloaty wa$ it ? any hint will do.....
Hi Fred - does $2400 count as a gloat? I was happy with the price.

Brian Kent
07-30-2013, 6:25 PM
Yup. That's pretty gloaty!

Mike Cruz
07-30-2013, 7:25 PM
Jon, that is a great set up, and the price is fantastic. YUP, most definitely a gloat!!!!

Kathy Marshall
07-30-2013, 8:58 PM
Now that is a heck of a Gloat Jon! Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2013, 9:31 PM
Congrats and enjoy.

Baxter Smith
07-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Congrats on a nice setup! You will certainly love it!

Tim Rinehart
07-31-2013, 2:11 PM
Congrats. I noticed one on our local CL listing, and have notified club members about it. Nice way to save some cash on a solid machine.

Marc Himes
08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Congratulation on a great lathe, good deal and lots of neat stuff.

Dan Jechura
08-01-2013, 2:31 PM
What type of chucks are you going to sell?

Dan J.