PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Radial Arm Saw

John McClanahan
07-29-2013, 10:21 PM
If you like radial arm saws, this will make you drool. If you hate them, this is still quite an impressive machine. The best part is, it could be yours! Be sure to watch the short video. Notice the power feed and automatic hold-down.
https://www.bidspotter.com/forms/photo.php?photo=16672321&date=Aug-12&time=10:30

John

jack forsberg
07-29-2013, 10:38 PM
john
while i am a RAS lover my preference is for the Wadkin C range of saws. Big,bad and beautiful.

vid of the small CC1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkfcuX03f8

jack
English machines

HANK METZ
07-30-2013, 7:24 AM
With correct blade choices a radial saw will perform quite well in cutting metal as this one does. Material, and temper are factors to be considered, but even an abrasive blade is very efficient at cutting up ferrous metals. The only somewhat negative about this unit is the standoff from the wall, which is required due to the arm travel through the column- mounted bearings. Having a fixed arm and ball bearing carriage allows it to be tucked in closer, saving floor space. I do on occasion abrasive cut and grind on my DeWalt, the overarm design being a major advantage in surface milling.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

jack forsberg
07-30-2013, 7:58 AM
hank

I cut metal/non-furious on a turret head delta 40C but use a VDF to cut the speed. I agree the saws cut metal but the works are not designed to protect the bearing and ways from metal cutting .If used this way they do not last long IMO. The cheep market for used RAS has put them into service as metal/brick cutter and it kill the arms on the Dewalts as that just run on milled cast in the arm. its sad to see but that's the way of the world. The fact that you can pick one up for $50 remains .

jack
English machines

John McClanahan
07-30-2013, 7:59 AM
I used my old Craftsman RAS to cut the steel for the frame to my CNC router. I spent as much time re-aligning the saw as I did making the miter cuts.

John

Jeff Duncan
07-30-2013, 9:53 AM
I bought a cheap Enco horizontal bandsaw for cutting metal and it does a much better job than trying to rig up another machine not really meant to do it. I used an abrasive saw for years before I got smart and bought the bandsaw. Looking back I have to say using abrasive wheels to cut metal in a small shop has to be one of the worst ideas ever. Metal swarf and sparks flying everywhere:o There's something to be said for using the right tool for the job;)

As far as the RAS I have a cheapy Craftsman which has been in use since the late 80's. I use mine for what it's best suited to.....cutting the rough ends off of boards before milling them:D

JeffD

HANK METZ
07-30-2013, 1:56 PM
…Looking back I have to say using abrasive wheels to cut metal in a small shop has to be one of the worst ideas ever. Metal swarf and sparks flying everywhere There's something to be said for using the right tool for the job…

Ordinarily Jeff, I would concur with that, however DeWalt not only endorsed such use, they even sold aftermarket products to promote it, such as grinding wheels and special blades. Here’s a link showing the benefits of such a contrasting use:
http://books.google.com/books?id=wSoDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA2&pg=PA174#v=onepage&q&f=true

It's funny though, depending on just what medium one works in as to what is considered abuse of a tool. In the metal lathe world most owners scorn the use of it to turn wood, claiming the remains promote rust and migrate into delicate adjustment areas.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Mike Schuch
07-30-2013, 7:46 PM
I have an old Walker Turner 14" geared head radial arm saw that I use as my primary metal cutting saw. I use abrasive blades on it although I did score a new 14" Freud ferrous blade for very cheap and run the saw on VFD. But I haven't had the guts to try the Freud blade yet... mainly because I am worried about the saw catching and self feeding. I bought the Walker Turner for $40 and did a complete rebuild on it with new bearings and new paint. After seeing it on Craigslist for many months I finally took pity on it and drug it home. The Walker Turner has the cast iron stand making it one heavy saw. I would feel much better about trying a toothed ferrous blade on the WT if it had some kind of controlled feed on it. I believe there was a version of my WT with lower gearing specially made for metal cutting. I doubt I will ever stumble across a lower geared WT gear set though. I am guessing that I would loose half of the rated power of the motor when I run the saw at half speed.

My main wood cutting saw is a RedStar 50c, which is the grandpa to the Delta turret arm saws. The 7 1/2 hp motor on the Redstar would make for a better metal cutter than the 5hp Walker Turner but the RedStar does too nice of a job on wood to condemn it to the metal working side of the shop.

I learned wood working on my fathers Delta Turret arm RAS and love RAS's... if you couldn't guess. :-)

Myk Rian
07-30-2013, 9:59 PM
The only somewhat negative about this unit is the standoff from the wall, which is required due to the arm travel through the column- mounted bearings.
I've seen where a hole was cut in the shop wall, then boxed in.

Brian Brightwell
07-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Some very cool saws. Makes me drool and I have a big old RAS. The big advantage I can see to these two RASaws is not having the arm sticking out there to hit one's head on.

Myk Rian
07-31-2013, 3:51 PM
Some very cool saws. Makes me drool and I have a big old RAS. The big advantage I can see to these two RASaws is not having the arm sticking out there to hit one's head on.
Get off your knees. :D

Brian Brightwell
07-31-2013, 6:10 PM
If I stayed on my knees my head would be fine its when I stand up and bounce my head of the arm it hurts. LOL

No, I am not going to wear a hard hat.