PDA

View Full Version : Is the Biesemeyer splitter really that big of a deal?

Allen Bookout
05-25-2005, 9:16 AM
I have ordered a Uni and now I see the Biesemeyer splitter on sale for $120. Is it really that much better than the standard Delta one that I should go ahead and order it while it is on sale or does it go on sale every once in a while so that I could pick it up later if I dedide that I need it? The money could be spent on a motor for my bandsaw, new router and table, bandwaw blades, etc., etc. and of course more clamps. You know the story - on and on.

I did find on a post that came up that someone said that the Delta splitter #1349941 was without peer. It sure is a lot cheaper.

John A. Williams
05-25-2005, 9:24 AM
It is worth every penny!

John

Tim Morton
05-25-2005, 9:27 AM
Alan, check out the delta removable splitter for $31 bucks. Can anyone show me how these two splitters are not almost identical. The biesemeyer might be a tad more polished, but other than that i think they are the same splitter.
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/reviews/splitter.shtml

Frank Pellow
05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Also check out the Micro Jig Splitter. See: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51151&cat=1,41080,41165

I really like it and the only thing that I believe I would like better is a real riving knife.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-25-2005, 10:52 AM
What the folks above aren't saying is that you have to get the splitter out of the hole to use a dado set. So it ought to be easily removable, whatever you buy. And you have to use it WHENEVER you can.
Daniel :D

Matt Meiser
05-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Tim, The main difference is that I believe the Biesemyer is removable by just pulling on a pin. On the Delta you have to unscrew a knob a few turns. I have the Delta and its so easy to install or remove, I can't imagine the Bies being worth $90 more.

Tim Morton
05-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Tim, The main difference is that I believe the Biesemyer is removable by just pulling on a pin. On the Delta you have to unscrew a knob a few turns. I have the Delta and its so easy to install or remove, I can't imagine the Bies being worth $90 more.

True you do have to turn a knob to remove it, but the splitter itself is seated in a way that once its aligned you can remove it and re-install it over an over without having to realign it.For a $90 savings can risk carpal tunnel:)

Allen Bookout
05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
The Micro Jig Splitter looks like a great idea but how about an anti kickback device?

For the money the Delta sure looks like a better deal than the Biesemeyer.

Dave Falkenstein
05-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I have a Biesemeyer splitter on my Jet cabinet saw. It is just perfect. I aligned it once, years ago, and never touched it since. It pops in and out really easily. I don't have any experience with the Delta splitter. I bought my Biesemeyer before Delta's was available. Delta owns Biesemeyer, so maybe the design is similar.

Michael Perata
05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Like Dave, I had a Bies splitter on my Jet cabinet saw. One of the best $120 tool buys ever.

My MiniMax combo has essentially the same function, a riving knife. While the Bies splitter doesn't move with the blade, the riving knife does. I think Delta's splitter moves with the blade.

John Weber
05-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Works Great! Excellent accessory, I would quickly buy again.

John

Matt Allan
05-25-2005, 2:16 PM
If you get the Bies, don't order from amazon. I ordered one for my PM66 back on April 26th and it is still being delayed. Suppose to ship first week of June. I don't have my shop all setup yet after our move so isn't hurting me too much and I can't resist those $25 coupons and free shipping.

Not sure if the delta one would have the same delays, but if it says 1-2 weeks I'm guessing it would.

Jim Becker
05-25-2005, 4:48 PM
The stock splitter/guard that comes with most saws, including the UniSaw has one very particularly bad feature...it's a pain in the butt to install and remove. Consequently almost nobody uses them.

I like my Biesemeyer splitter and it stays on my saw 100% of the time that it's usable. I did remove the pawls, however. I much prefer it over an insert-mounted splitter because it moves with the blade for bevel cuts, etc. It stays in alignment, too. For me, it was a good buy, because I use it.

John Shuk
05-25-2005, 4:53 PM
I bought one for my unisaw. I haven't used the saw yet but my reasoning is this. I will use it. It is easy to remove and put back on. I witnessed a kickback once and that was all of the convincing I needed. By the way my best friend is a machinest and he thinks that it is a well built quality mechanism. He says he would be hard pressed to make it for that price. For what thats worth.
John

Allen Bookout
05-25-2005, 6:51 PM
John Weber and John Shuk, Are you guys talking about the Biese or the Delta?

Dave Falkenstein
05-25-2005, 7:00 PM
While the Bies splitter doesn't move with the blade, the riving knife does. I think Delta's splitter moves with the blade.

Michael - The Biesemeyer splitter does move with the blade for angled cuts. At least on my Jet cabinet saw it does. Apparently on Jim Becker's too, as noted is his post.

John A. Williams
05-25-2005, 8:40 PM
I have 3 biesemeyer products for my unisaw. The fence, the splitter, and a cut-off fence attachment. Yes, they are not the cheapest accesories out there, but they are often copied and the quality is perfect.

John

p.s. Quality=Cost

Rick Shelton
05-25-2005, 9:04 PM
Alan, check out the delta removable splitter for $31 bucks. Can anyone show me how these two splitters are not almost identical. The biesemeyer might be a tad more polished, but other than that i think they are the same splitter.

I second (third, fourth, ?) the Biesemeyer splitter, worth the money.

Seems I've heard that the Delta removable splitter will work with thin kerf blades. If that's so, I wouldn't think it would be the best thing to use with a 1/8" blade, due to the wood still being able to close onto the blade.

I also bought the MJ splitter. Worked OK for thin stock, but pulled out two times in a row while cutting 8/4 mahogany. Couldn't trust it anymore, so gave it away.

Tim Morton
05-25-2005, 9:14 PM
I second (third, fourth, ?) the Biesemeyer splitter, worth the money.

Seems I've heard that the Delta removable splitter will work with thin kerf blades. If that's so, I wouldn't think it would be the best thing to use with a 1/8" blade, due to the wood still being able to close onto the blade.

I also bought the MJ splitter. Worked OK for thin stock, but pulled out two times in a row while cutting 8/4 mahogany. Couldn't trust it anymore, so gave it away.
I believe it works on thin kerf blades due to the slightly thiner face, which flares out to a full kerf about half wat through the splitter. I have not had any problems with it on either blade.

Jim Becker
05-25-2005, 9:26 PM
Michael - The Biesemeyer splitter does move with the blade for angled cuts. At least on my Jet cabinet saw it does. Apparently on Jim Becker's too, as noted is his post.

I believe that Michael was refering to moving up and down with the blade...which a riving knife does and these splitters don't.

Russ Massery
05-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Isn't your safety worth it? I have the Bies.... I wouldn't use a table saw without one again. I have a freind who has a pattern shop, I saw what kickback did to a cinder block wall.:eek:

John Weber
05-25-2005, 11:20 PM
I was speaking of the Biesemeyer, the Delta $30 splitter is ok, but the Biesemeyer is well designed and built.

John

Perry Schmidt
05-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Is it worth the extra $90 - actual difference? Probably not. But where it's worth every penny is it actually gets used. It's so easy to put in and take out I never make a cut without it. I don't think there's another splitter out there that I've seen that's as easy to use. So it's probably not $90 worth of extra workmanship and materials better, but because it's so easy to use, it DOES get used. Given how important a splitter is for safey, yes - worth every penny!

Perry

Tim Morton
05-26-2005, 7:23 AM
Is it worth the extra $90 - actual difference? Probably not. But where it's worth every penny is it actually gets used. It's so easy to put in and take out I never make a cut without it. I don't think there's another splitter out there that I've seen that's as easy to use. So it's probably not $90 worth of extra workmanship and materials better, but because it's so easy to use, it DOES get used. Given how important a splitter is for safey, yes - worth every penny!

Perry

AGAIN....the delta splitter is JUST as easy to remove and put back on. I must have missed the part in the instruction manual where the beisemeyer splitter comes with an IR remote that actually picks up the splitter and hovers it over the saw while you remove the insert....then sets it in place for you:D:D

Has anyone seen the 2 splitters side by side to show that the delta is not built to the same quality level?

JayStPeter
05-26-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm with Tim. I use the $30 splitter regularly. I almost never make a through cut without it. I even use it with my miter gauge and sleds.
The biggest difference IMO is that the Bies is polished and the Delta is black. I've played with a Bies splitter at a show. While it is real nice, there's no chance I'd pay the extra $90. It literally takes less than a second more to use the cheaper Delta. And, I don't see any real difference in quality or functionality.

I'll go as far as to say that you're throwing money away if you put a Bies on a Unisaw when this is available.

Jay

Allen Bookout
05-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all of the feed back! I know that the Biesmeyer must be a great product, however since the Delta also does the job and is reported to be about as easy to use as the Bies I'm going for the Delta for quite a bit less. Can use the extra hundred bucks or so for other things.