PDA

View Full Version : Frog or adjustment yoke for a #6

Matt Ralston
05-25-2005, 9:04 AM
Morning,

Just got a slightly banged up #6 that I'll be getting back into shape as a user. It looks alright except the adjustment yoke on the depth screw is broken and jammed on the adjustment wheel. So I suppose I'm looking for information on whether I can just get a new yoke, or if getting an entirely new frog is the way to go.

Do frogs from other stanleys fit the 6?

Any help is appreciated.

John Keeling
05-25-2005, 9:22 AM
You are more likely to be able to replace it than get something to fix it.

You'd need to match type. There are plenty of resources out there to determine which type you have. Then a frog from the same type #4 1/2, #6 or #7 should fit they are all 2 3/8" irons. A #5 1/2 frog may also fit but there is width variation in the early ones so it is best to stay clear unless you know what you are looking at [or its cheap enough to take the chance].
Unless it is a new plane then the replacements from Stanley are unlikely to fit.

Have fun

John

Jim Reed
05-25-2005, 2:13 PM
I have never had to make this type of repair, but I think fixing the yoke is easier than trying to match up a new frog. Try to get a beater #4 or #5 so you can snag a yoke. Put the frog in a vise and use a punch to remove the yoke pin. Save the pins as one may be reusable. If not, a wire nail or brad will probably work OK. Good luck with your repair.

Matt Ralston
05-25-2005, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the info. It is a Type 15, so a whole replacement frog shouldn't be too tough. I'll probably just end up trying to replace the yoke.

Matt