PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap #4, but whose?

steven c newman
07-29-2013, 12:05 PM
"Won" a Dunlap #4 the other day. It arrived it not too bad of a condition267463267464267465Lever cap was black along the edges, and the lever as well. Lateral was a pinched together sort of thing. Took it apart, cleaned it all up and shapened the iron. I have a second "Dunlap" iron but the bolt hole on it is at the bottom, this one is at the top? What year did that change?

OK, after the little work on it..267467267468267469267470Sole is starting to look flat, ala Paul Sellers, Frog is flat on the face ( took maybe a minute to do) About a minute or so to mate the chipbrealer to the iron, and a wee bit of time to sharpened the iron. Still need to hone the edge, and maybe a strop, took the re-assembled Dunlap for a test drive267473Hmm, maybe send it to the stones for a hone, then a strop?:D Might be a Stanley made for sears?:confused:

Jim Koepke
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a second "Dunlap" iron but the bolt hole on it is at the bottom, this one is at the top? What year did that change?

The Stanley patent for that was in 1892. I do not recall what year it was when they lost a patent fight over the design. Some companies kept making irons with the bolt hole at the top until they stopped making planes. The split yoke at the depth adjuster makes me think it was made after WW II.

Might be a Stanley made for sears?

It doesn't have any Stanley markers that would make me think such.

jtk

steven c newman
07-29-2013, 2:36 PM
Ok, stamp on the latest Dunlap iron includes the number#619. 3702

Inbetween the "DUNLAP" and the number is a "Registered trademark"

Neither the number , nor the trademark stamp is on the newer version, with the bolt hole down near the edge. Corners of the iron are not rounded like the other iron, either. Top corners are a sharp angle, not a curved one.

Underside of the lever cap has a weird area where a spring SHOULD have been. In that area there is a "9" cast into the otherwise rough casting. Hole is the normal Keyhole style.

Large solid brass wheel is right at 1-1/4 diameter. Might have the frog slid back a hair too far, not much room between the tote and the wheel.

Front knob does have some Millers Falls features: shape of it is about the same, and there were "dents" in the knobs bottom like seen on most M-F knobs, like a star pattern.

Frog bolts are not the round top ones, look more like a Stanley bolt. Handle bolts have both a washer and a lock washer under the bolt's head.

Base casting is 2-9/16" wide at the sole, with thin sides. there is some room on either side of the frog. Frog is 1-7/8 " wide. Sole is 9-3/4" long.

Fit and finish seem to suggest this was as made for whomever for "Dunlap", rather than a "FranckeinFlieger"

As for the lateral lever... end that engages the slot in the iron has no slop at all, nice tight fit. Lever is not bent from mis-use, and is tight to the frog, too.

Front knob is a tall one, but there is no ring around it's base.

Strange plane.....

Bill Houghton
07-29-2013, 3:24 PM
Possibly Sargent, although the frog design's odd: having the bedding surface (the shiny part) as a ring around the frog is a new one to me.

Walt Quadrato has done a "plane ID on the fly" page, which is here: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html. A useful one to learn, although I'm not sure it's entirely reliable.