PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Lenses

Eddie Castaneda
07-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

The Question of the Morning. My Boss has purchased some lenses from Trotec. My question is What would I use them for or what Laser would I use them with?
1.5" Red Casing
2.0" Black Casing
2.5" Silver Casing
3.2" Green Casing
4.0" Blue Casing
I'm waiting a 5.0" as well

Thanks for the Information Guys!

Mike Null
07-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Why not ask your boss? Surely he knows why he did that.

Eddie Castaneda
07-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Mike,

My boss usually orders all the tooling for a Machine. He might not know what each lens does.

matthew knott
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
You have a Flex as well, be wary of any advise from here as the flex might be different to everyone else's ! Might not be, but you need to check with the Pros

Eddie Castaneda
07-29-2013, 1:06 PM
Thanks for the Heads up with that Matt!

Dan Hintz
07-29-2013, 1:54 PM
A rough way to tell (concerning Matt's comment about the Flexx)... if it's orange, it's ZnSe and is used for the CO2. The fiber lens is most likely clear, like a telescope/microscope lens.

From a "what do I use it for" perspective, that's up to you. The 2" is a general-purpose lens for a lot of typical work. The 4" is typically used when you need a larger depth of field and/or you have some tight spots to get into. The 1.5" lens is typically used when you need a finer level of detail. The other lenses are an oddity, but you can trade off the best resolution for the tightest focal length necessary.

matthew knott
07-29-2013, 7:16 PM
Does the Flexx not use a special lens material? I dont think the focus lens gets changed to switch between the laser sources, just the focus height is a bit different. Another reason to check what your Boss has purchased !!

Edit, after a quick read you have some options
Flexx Lens
Use the Flexx lens for finest detail engravings
and markings with maximum quality. Suited
for both wavelengths - fiber and CO2

&Additional lenses
For perfect engraving and cutting results, lenses
with different focal lengths may be used,
depending on the application. (available lenses:
1.5 inch, 2.0 inch, 2.5 and 4.0 inch CO2 lens;
3.2 and 5 inch fiber lens)

So everyone is right, i guess the machine knows when it has a single use optic and locks out the other source, I think the co2 beam would damage a fibre wavelength lens.

Michael Kowalczyk
07-29-2013, 7:32 PM
1.5" Red Casing----fine engraving sharp detail not really for cutting thicker than 3mm
2.0" Black Casing--- all around use
2.5" Silver Casing---not sure
3.2" Green Casing---not sure
4.0" Blue Casing--- larger depth of field for engraving on a slight radius, cutting thicker materials (since you have the wattage)
I'm waiting a 5.0" as well--- Not sure
The ones I answered are the ones I have and use. You can ask Trotec or read your owners manual also.

Hope this helps a bit and ...

Gene Howard
07-30-2013, 8:09 AM
We use the 2.5" silver lens for Rowmark plastics and engraving/cutting 3/8" acrylic.
1.5" red is our workhorse for rubber stamps, amazing how much wattage rubber eats up!

Eddie Castaneda
08-01-2013, 6:11 PM
Thanks guys for all the help I got a response from Trotec didn't give me much info. just what machine they were for. I did find a bit of information when I did a google search. Hopefully this can help anyone else out.
http://www.troteclaser.com/en-US/Laser-Machines/Accessories/Options/Pages/Focus-Lenses.aspx