PDA

View Full Version : Anti SPAM software

Clarence Martin
07-29-2013, 9:52 AM
What is the best anti Spam software that is Free to use ?

paul cottingham
07-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Seriously, get a gmail account, and forward all your mail through it. It will filter spam very effectively.

Roy Harding
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
My ISP has an excellent spam filter, which I can control through "white" and "black lists". They "quarantine" suspected spam for a few days, so that I can check and let legitimate emails through. It's very effective, and is taken care of at the ISP level, long before the email gets transmitted to my computer.

This is the third ISP I've had over the years, due to moves, and they've all had fairly effective filters - I've never had anti-Spam software on my computer. It's probably worth an inquiry to your ISP to see what they have set up for you.

Erik Loza
07-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Seriously, get a gmail account, and forward all your mail through it. It will filter spam very effectively.

This ^^^.

I used to get tons of spam when I had msn email then one day, someone hacked my account and I said screw this. Got Gmail and never looked back. I moderate another internet forum and will tell you that the email domain most commonly used by spammers is hotmail, followed by msn and then outlook. Gmail rarely if ever sends a spammer through. Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Curt Harms
07-30-2013, 8:50 AM
Here's another tip. Have more than one email account. Use a secondary email address for uses where your email address may be sold to a 3rd party. For sites that insist on an email address but don't have a legitimate need to contact you, use a ficticious email address. SWMBO is a good honest girl scout and gives out her legit email address. She gets lots 'o spam and the occasional malicious email. I happily lie to the liars and get no spam or crapware.

Matt Meiser
07-30-2013, 9:40 AM
Gmail lets you do that by adding +something, ie. Fred.Flinstone@gmail.com can use Fred.Flinstone+amazon@gmail.com. However some sites won't accept the +

Phil Thien
07-30-2013, 9:53 AM
My ISP uses SpamAssassin. SpamAssassin checks several different public blacklists to see if the E-Mail it is checking originated from a blacklisted server (or uses a blacklisted address, etc.). It also does Bayesian analysis to determine whether the body of the message looks like spam.

By tweaking the settings a bit, I get hardly ANY spam through. Less than I get, in fact, on my GMail account.

Larry Browning
07-30-2013, 1:42 PM
Take your pick from here:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-spam-filter-for-experienced-users.htm

Be sure to read all the comments as well!
Also, there are links to other spam filter lists as well. You could read about this subject for hours from this one page.

paul cottingham
07-30-2013, 2:07 PM
Pop file is fantastic. That was what we used to set people up with before gmail. Now we just use gmail.