PDA

View Full Version : Question: Sargent VBM colors?

Frederick Skelly
07-28-2013, 8:31 PM
Hi folks. Finally got back to refurbing a plane I discussed here a couple months back. Recall this is a bit of a frankenstein - Sargent body (same size as a Stanley #5), Union frog, Keencutter blade, Sargent VBM cap, broken tote. Ive decided to keep tinkering with it since its just plain (plane?) fun and Im learning useful stuff. Heres where Ive gotten to so far with a couple questions on paint scheme at the end.

Never have been able to get the keencutter blade to take and hold a good edge (tried everything you suggested - I think this ones just too hard for my current skills to resolve). So Im going to order a new iron from Veritas. May order the matching chipbreaker too - havent decided. Figure I can use the new blade in my MF#9 if Frankenplane turns out stinky. So its not really wasted $. (Or so I tell myself!)

Today I made a new tote out of scrap mahogany and shaped it to fit my hand. That was fun. Never customized a handle or grip before. In the process, learned how to drill the long screw hole at just the right angle - a minor victory, but again, I got to learn something new. It doesnt match the knob (cocobolo?) but thats ok for this exercise.

Cleaned all the nuts, bolts and polished the brass. Looks super.

Had to use paint stripper on the body and cap. Someone painted them with gray primer. Took off most of the japanning on body. I need to prime and repaint. Which brings me to my questions.

What colors do I use if I want Frankenplane to simulate the look of a Sargent VBM? I think the body should be black? What about the frog and the cap? Can someone tell me or post a pic?

Thanks folks!
Fred

Jim Koepke
07-28-2013, 8:37 PM
I have no idea. When information like this is wanted my first source is the internet. Search on Sargent planes and maybe take a trip to ebay and give the listings a look.

The other option is to paint it any color you like.

jtk

Brian Myers
07-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Sole and frog black like Stanley . Lever cap on the VBM's I`ve seen and the ones I have are just bare metal with no color what so ever even no background color where the cap has Sargent VBM molded into it. I have one non VBM lever cap that was painted black and others that were bare metal. Painted one is a rougher casting than the non painted ones which are like Stanley's before they molded the name into the cap. Knob and totes on mine appear to have a clear finish , depending on the wood they maybe stained or the finish may be tinted. FYI not all VBM blades were thick , no idea when they changed but I have a VMB jack with Sargent VBM stamped into the blade that is as thin as Stanley's blades.

Chris Griggs
07-29-2013, 9:31 AM
Here's an old thread I posted when I got my VBM 424. Lots of pics. The body had already been repainted when I got it, but I don't think they made any changes to color on anything.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174281-Ebay-Win-Part-2-VBM-424-The-Good-The-Bad-amp-The-Pudding

Frederick Skelly
07-29-2013, 6:18 PM
Thanks very much guys. I appreciate your help!
Fred