PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Poll

Bill Lewis
05-25-2005, 6:43 AM
Ok, I'm going to try my hand at taking a poll.
Since the question came up about how many people have bought gorrilla's I'll start there.

Matt Meiser
05-25-2005, 7:20 AM
I answered Oneida 2HP, but what I really have is an Oneida cyclone body with a Jet DC1200 2HP blower. If I was buying today, I'd have a Gorilla.

John Miliunas
05-25-2005, 7:55 AM
A Woodsucker, which I'm extremely happy with and, if it should overflow the bin, I still have a "second chance" with the bag over the filter!:D :) :cool:

Chris Lee
05-25-2005, 8:04 AM
Big Yellow Gorilla. It's up but the ductwork is not up yet so I have to hurry up and feed this monster.

Chris

Dale Rodabaugh
05-25-2005, 8:16 AM
I have a Delta 1 1/2 HP bag unit.works good for me.:D :D :D

Jim O'Dell
05-25-2005, 9:51 AM
I bought the Clear Vue system with the 5hp Leeson (3 hp continous) when it was on sale for $200.00 off. Included everything except the can and the filters, even came with 6 clear blast gates. Not up yet, but maybe by the end of the summer. Jim

Steve Cox
05-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Woodsucker, and it has been very satisfactory for me. It replaced a Jet DC-1200 and what a difference!

lou sansone
05-25-2005, 11:35 AM
3 hp oneida

walter stellwagen
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
woodsucker

Walt

John Miliunas
05-25-2005, 12:07 PM
woodsucker

Walt

Walter, post #1, I see! Welcome to SMC...Probably one of, if not THE greatest WW site on the Net! Great bunch of folks, friendly and informative. Oh, and we LOVE pictures!! (hint, hint). Come often and stay long! Maybe even start a seperate thread introducing yourself a bit???:) :) :cool:

John Dingman
05-25-2005, 12:11 PM
John hangs his head as he sheepishly admits that his Dust Collector is not even on the poll list. :confused: I have the HF 2 hp dc unit. :eek: It works well for me. Would I like to have a cyclone (YES) but the price for this one was right. Maybe in a few years or so I'll be able to move up to the cyclone, and then I'll be able to rub shoulders with you heavy hitters :D :D :D

John

martyphee
05-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I found a used Torit 20-5 and replaced the 3hp 3ph motor with a 5hp that bill on has his site. Ran 8" and 7" spiral. Will suck up most small children

Alan See
05-25-2005, 1:00 PM
I clicked "bag system", but "cannister system" would be more accurate. Jet 1100CK, 1.5 horse, 2 micron.

Bob Borzelleri
05-25-2005, 1:29 PM
Ok, I'm going to try my hand at taking a poll.
Since the question came up about how many people have bought gorrilla's I'll start there.

I have a Grizzly 2 hp on order. Might I respecfully suggest that listing three models of Oneida's and the rest of the field as "others" could come across as a bit of a biased poll?

...Bob

Jim Andrew
05-25-2005, 2:01 PM
Woodsucker, and it has plenty of power for my 18" woodmaster planer molder,
since I changed the woodmaster to a 6" outlet. The directions with the planer
said to use a dust mask along with the dust collector because of the amount of
dust it creates, but since changing it to 6", it is clean in the shop with the
thing running. Jim

Guy Baxter
05-25-2005, 2:56 PM
when you're a jet,
you're a jet all the way
from your first filter bag
to your last dyin' day

Pathetic rip of West Side Story lyrics.

Brad Schmid
05-25-2005, 3:27 PM
Other:

2HP, 14" impeller, import bag system (from The Woodworkers Choice) retrofitted with Jet Cartridge and middle "funnel" thing :confused: , and cyclone lid trash can added.

Steven Wilson
05-25-2005, 3:37 PM
Oneida 2hp Commercial and a Festool CT-22

nic obie
05-25-2005, 3:42 PM
Home built Pentz style cyclone powered by two of the famous HF blowers.

Chris Fite
05-25-2005, 4:15 PM
I have Big Yellow Gorilla on the way. I have one of the original Oneida cyclones, circa 1993, that I have grafted onto a 1 hp Penn State two bag dust collector, circa 1992. Oneida was in the cyclone and filter bag business in those days.

Frank Pellow
05-25-2005, 6:59 PM
WOW, according to the responses, a lot of Gorillas are being sold! The count is keeping neck and neck with the older Oneida 2hp units. When you consider that Gorillas have only been available for about a month this really amazes me.

Bruce Page
05-25-2005, 7:23 PM
I have a Delta 1 1/2 HP bag unit.works good for me.:D :D :D

Ditto for me.

Lee DeRaud
05-25-2005, 7:32 PM
John hangs his head as he sheepishly admits that his Dust Collector is not even on the poll list. :confused: I have the HF 2 hp dc unit. :eek: It works well for me. Would I like to have a cyclone (YES) but the price for this one was right. Maybe in a few years or so I'll be able to move up to the cyclone, and then I'll be able to rub shoulders with you heavy hitters :D :D :D
Don't feel too bad: I'd been in the broom/dustpan/shopvac camp until very recently. I have two of the 3/4hp GMC dust collectors, $99 at Lowes. The first one is the vent blower for the Versalaser...worked so nicely I got another one to use for its normal purpose.

But unless I'm going to spend all day running the saw, out comes the ancient shopvac. :p

Per Swenson
05-25-2005, 8:20 PM
Jim,

I am a big woodmaster fan, would it be possible to post a picture
of your DC hook up?
For the record, I am presently using a 1.5 hp JDS with a cannister
and a garbage can cyclone.
I need better.
Unfortunately with 7 foot ceilings and hardly enough space.
another upgrade is on the horizon. So is 5000 sgft of concrete floor
inside a metal building.
Also on installs we bring a little jet 800cfm bag unit hooked to
the miter saw and now rely on our festool rigs to provide a dust free
environment in these nice peoples homes and businesses.
Dust is the only complaint I have ever heard from anybody.
Never,
it costs too much or when are you going to get done.
Thank you
Per

Nick Mitchell
05-25-2005, 8:37 PM
Felder 5hp RL160 clean air dust extractor on the way.

Bill Lewis
05-26-2005, 5:54 AM
I have a Grizzly 2 hp on order. Might I respecfully suggest that listing three models of Oneida's and the rest of the field as "others" could come across as a bit of a biased poll?

Biased? Yes Absolutely! :) After all aren't all polls biased? Think again if you think not. :eek:

I happen to have a 2HP commercial unit from Oneida. This poll started as a hijack from Mike Malone's thread about how many people have purchased Oneida Gorrilla's. As it turns out, The Oneida catagories for +/- 2hp are running neck and neck with the all others combined. I didn't do anything scientific for this poll, it's only for fun. Although, don't be too surprised that manufacturers aren't also monitoring this kind of straw poll data.

Jim Knauss
05-26-2005, 6:06 AM
The infamous Harbour Freight dust collector with Wynn cannister conversion. Seems to do the job. Also have the Shopfox remote.
Jim Knauss

John Hart
05-26-2005, 7:05 AM
My shop is so small that I've never been able to justify a system, so I just sweep and vacuum every day....well..every week...sometimes... Ok...I clean up when it gets to be too much! :rolleyes:

Frank Pellow
05-26-2005, 7:10 AM
My shop is so small that I've never been able to justify a system, so I just sweep and vacuum every day....well..every week...sometimes... Ok...I clean up when it gets to be too much! :rolleyes:
How about justifying it on the basis of your future health?

John Hart
05-26-2005, 7:14 AM
That's a very valid point Frank...especially since my grandfather died of this very thing! I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger...just haven't done it yet. Thanks!:)

Bob Borzelleri
05-27-2005, 9:15 AM
Biased? Yes Absolutely! :) After all aren't all polls biased? Think again if you think not. :eek:

Actually, not all polls are inherently biased. If you simply ask the folks who frequent a particular website to check a box indicating whether they are male or female, you will get one of two responses. The structure of the question does not introduce bias because (if it is a simple question as I just framed it), it does not imply value to one response over the other and the vast majority of respondents will be of one sex or the other (other sexual configurations being likely to be statistically insignificant).

Polls that structure responses so that choices are either limited or framed so as to imply that one choice or range of choices is preferred or should be considered predominant, are inherently biased because they frame the issue with value implied to one or more of the choices.

I realize that your poll was not designed to be scientific. My only point is that there are several other cyclone manufacturers out there besides Oneida. If all you were looking for was to see how Oneida is doing compared to all others, then your poll works for that.

...Bob

Jimmy Tallent
06-06-2005, 9:27 PM
I have the three H.P Tempest from Pennstate,and so far it works great.

Maurice Ungaro
06-07-2005, 9:01 AM
I've been working with a Shopfox 1.5 hp bag system, with felt bags, and a great dust mask. I've just scored a pre-owned JDS Airtech filtration unit (for $125!!!!) that I will be hanging up this weekend (hopefully!).

Yes, that was somewhat of a stealth gloat.....without pictures.

Greg Narozniak
06-07-2005, 9:25 AM
Oneida 2hp Commercial and am VERY happy with it, but if I was buying today it would be a Gorilla without a doubt!!!

Alan Mikkelsen
06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
3 hp Grizzly 1030 with oversize Penn felted bags.

Chris Padilla
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9933

My little cyclone building project.... :D

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-07-2005, 1:28 PM
jet 1100 converted from a bag to a canister. works well. for my use.

Jim Dannels
06-07-2005, 1:49 PM
On account of the fact that I`m Cheap and like to build my own stuff, I do have a question. Living in farm country and seeing cyclones sitting on junked farm machinery(Grinder /Mixers) often. Is there some logical reason one could not be adapted to a homebuilt dust collection system and expect reasonable efficency?

Bill Lewis
06-07-2005, 2:51 PM
adapted to a homebuilt dust collection system and expect reasonable efficency?

IMO absolutely. I've said it before there is nothing magical about a cyclone, and probably the least efficient one will be better than none. To maximize the efficiency, you may want to check out the Bill Pentz site for sizing a blower etc...

Steve Clardy
06-07-2005, 9:56 PM
Non of the above. I bought a 4HP Grizzly 4 bag unit, tore it apart, replaced the impellor with a better one from Mr. Hatfield, built a stand, set it on a concrete pad outside the shop. Ductwork is almost all under floor, with inlets everywhere. Forty feet of outlet piping running out to a pickup bed trailer, dumping chips into it. It's was rated at 3500cfm, before the propellor change. Have no idea what the actual cfm is.

Steve

Frank Chaffee
06-08-2005, 5:01 AM
WoodSucker II, 2HP cyclone on the way!

Chuck Harris
06-08-2005, 2:11 PM
Shop Fox 1.5hp with a Jet AFS1000b ceiling mount. Shop Fox remote on the DC. Trash can seperator in front of the DC.

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2005, 4:26 PM
Delta bag collector with trash can cyclone.

Bernie

lou sansone
06-08-2005, 10:16 PM
3 hp oneida

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-09-2005, 4:21 PM
I have one of the early 2hp home units they made. I initially got one of the 1.5 units with the internal filter. It sat for a year while I tried to get the shop done. When I started on the DC install and did some calculations I realized I didn't have a big enough unit. Called the Oneida folks (Jeff and Robert as I recall) to get help with the duct work and they went the extra mile helping me trade up to the "new" 2hp larger barrel external filter unit. It is exactly what I needed. Those guys at Oneida are the best in my eyes. I also bought a fair amount of their duct work that I couldn't get locally. The one thing I never did was to explore the new impeller they were working on. They said it would have given me a nice little boost in performance with the same 2hp motor. I'll have to explore that someday.

Mac

Richard Danckaert
06-11-2005, 3:52 PM
Broom and dust pan for some.Festool CT22 for most of the portable power tools.
Looking to pull the trigger on a new cyclone.Probably an Oneida product(Gorilla or Commercial).

Rich