PDA

View Full Version : OSS Question

Bob Lasley
05-12-2003, 11:16 PM
For those of you that have oscillating spindle sanders, are they really that much better than a sanding drum on the drill press and if so, why? I looked at several today, but am having a hard time justifying spending the bucks for one.

TIA,
Bob

Dennis Peacock
05-13-2003, 1:24 AM
Bob,

I have the Ryobi OSS and all for what I use it for...it works really well. I have had mine for about 5 years now and it is still going strong. I use it all the time for sanding curved shapes and like it due to the fact that it reduces the possibility of burning during sanding. Besides that.....it is built for sideways stress where the DP is not. If you aren't going to use it all the time....I would go with the cheaper Ryobi model.......it works good for a sander...

Ernie Kuhn
05-13-2003, 2:09 AM
Bob,

I have the Rigid from HD and particularly like the ability to change from oscillating belt to oscillating spindle. I make all maner of boxes and have found this combination ideal for my needs.

Glenn Clabo
05-13-2003, 6:48 AM
I have the Rigid...I wouldn't have bought it myself but use it more than I thought I would when it was given to me as a present. It works great and is a quick change to different size drums. I'd say buy...if you are still wondering.

Jim Becker
05-13-2003, 8:45 AM
Yea, they are better than a drum in your DP in a couple of ways. Firstly, the oscillating action reduces the visible scratch pattern, resulting in a better surface. Secondly, whether a benchtop or free-standing unit, an OSS is generally easier to position for comfortable sanding. Thirdly, you're not beating the bearings in your DP doing an operation that they were not originally designed for...

I've had my Delta BOSS OSS for about four years now and it's served me well. The cast iron table is solid and the unit runs smooth and reasonably quiet. The DC port works very well--mine is connected to my central system, but the built in impeller was effective when I originally bought the unit to extract dust.

What would I want different? One thing...a tilt table like the Jet benchtop OSS or the floor standing units have. I could have used that feature quite a bit on certain projects.

Bruce Page
05-13-2003, 9:27 PM
Originally posted by Jim Becker

What would I want different? One thing...a tilt table like the Jet benchtop OSS or the floor standing units have. I could have used that feature quite a bit on certain projects.

Ditto what Jim said on the tilting table! That has been my only gripe on the Delta Boss OSS. For fast removal and a great surface finish, the OSS is the way to go - the DP mounted sanding drum doesn’t even come close.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. -- Mark Twain

Tony Pearson
05-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Bob, I have the bench top Powermatic, (which is now Jet I think), It does a very good job and I'm satisfied with the machine. The table tilts and I have found this feature to be useful.

I have not found an easy way to change the sleeve on the drum. I've tried everything but have not found a satisfactory solution.

Would I buy the machine again? Yes.

Good Luck.

Tony

:D

Dale Thompson
05-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Bob,
I've the the Delta Boss OSS. It has done a great job for me. On the other hand, the cast iron table looks like it was chewed out by a beaver when compared to the surface of my PM 66. If you buy one, check out the table before you take it home.

As an alternative, I've also got the Delta Combination 4" belt/6" disc sander. Lately, I've had better luck with the belt version of that unit on 2" curved oak surfaces than I have with the OSS. It really depends on the radii which you are going to be machining.

Just another input.

Dale T.

David Rose
05-14-2003, 5:14 PM
come try my BOSS next trip through. I'm still getting out after !:30, but any time after that is great.

If I don't make patterns and route the edges I always use the BOSS on scrolled stuff. Then again, I use the BOSS on all the paterns. I too would like a tilting table, but I didn't pay for one on this tool, so...

I didn't see it mentioned, but if you have any trouble loading up and/or burning spots on the DP drum the OSS cures that pretty well too.

David

Bruce Page
05-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Dale Thompson
Bob,
I've the the Delta Boss OSS. It has done a great job for me. On the other hand, the cast iron table looks like it was chewed out by a beaver when compared to the surface of my PM 66.
Dale,
My Boss top was also rougher than a cob, so rough that it would actually mar the bottom of the piece that I was sanding. To solve the problem, I set the unit in a cardboard box to contain the mess and spent an hour with my ROS and some WD-40. It was time well invested.

These manufactures could enhance their reputation so much if they would just take the time to solve these types of problems. All it would take in this instance would be a few more seconds to let the Blanchard grinder “spark off” (these tops may have been face milled and not ground, I can’t quite remember which), and you would have a PM66 type of finish – or at least a Unisaw quality finish. Instead, they have some bean counter with a stopwatch overseeing every second of the manufacturing process.

Andrew Field
05-16-2003, 2:29 PM
I picked up the BOSS for a cabinet job I've been working on and used it to make all the templates for the rasied panel doors. Worked like a charm and I look forward to using more often, but it's by no means a center piece of my shop.

Dale Thompson
05-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Bruce,
Thanks for the suggestion. Thus far, I haven't done any major damage with "the cob" but I've kind of walked away from it in favor of the Delta Combination 4" Belt/Disc unit when it comes to "rounding off" my heavier stock.

I'm really anxious to get out the WD-40 and a LOW grit on my ROS. I would guess that I should NOT hook up the shop vac during that operation. :confused:

Thanks again, Bruce.

Dale T. :D

Les Bartel
05-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Which drum sizes do you really need? My guess would be the smallest one, the largest one and one about half way between. Is that enough? Too much?

I'm leaning toward the Delta BOSS or Jet. Maybe Grizzley.

- les

David Rose
05-26-2003, 12:41 AM
fit the tightest curve. If I'm not too lazy I will change to whatever fits the area. Most of the time doing a cabinet base with scrollwork, I will use a couple of sizes.

David