PDA

View Full Version : Tile over fiberglass

Mike OMelia
07-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Can I border this tub inset with tile? Clearly some would be over the fiberglass. If not, how could I go about doing this? Thin plywood layer?

Rich Engelhardt
07-28-2013, 4:46 AM
Sounds like a question for the John Bridge forum.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-28-2013, 5:46 AM
Try epoxy thinset

Curt Harms
07-28-2013, 8:27 AM
Possibly what we used to tile a backsplash would work but I'd call the manufacturer and ask. It might be too thick for your purposes making edge finishes difficult. Sure is easy if it works, though.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205928-DIY-tile-with-Bondera&highlight=

Rob Feldner
07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
You could run an underlayment for the tile, but I'd use hardibacker, not plywood. I'd second the advice on the John Bridge forums. Try to give them more detail. A few more pictures, is the enclosure attached to the studs directly or above the drywall, what kind of drywall is it, etc.

Kevin Bourque
07-28-2013, 11:11 AM
You could use shluter/kerdi membrane instead of plywood or tile backer.

keith micinski
07-28-2013, 5:23 PM
Take a small piece and stick it to it with normal mastic. I bet you will be surprised at how well it sticks to the fiberglass. If you really want to use a backer I to would also use Kerdi so that you don't have a thick edge to cover up. I would say while fiberglass isn't going to be the backer of choice for tile it will work just fine. I out tile over laminate and Formica all of the time and have never had a failure. If it was on a floor it would be a different thing but a wall only has to stay there and hold the tile up from gravity.

Mike OMelia
07-28-2013, 7:25 PM
Thanks guys. I punted and went with wood trim. That old mastic would have worked great. The new water soluble stuff, not so sure. I guess I could have found that mastic. Seems everything is going water based.